Azamara Quest Cruise Review by kathy9: 10 British Open Cruise

10 British Open Cruise

Sail Date: July 2013
Destination: Europe - British Isles & Western
Embarkation: Dublin

This is our second Azamara cruise, first on the Quest. Overall this cruise was excellent, can't really think of anything to complain about. We embarked in Dublin and the whole process was easy and quick. Our cabin was in tip top shape, of course the bathroom is still way too small but we both could manage.The location on deck 7 was great, very close to the stairs and laundry room. Our cabin steward, Valentina and her assistant did an excellent job.

The CC meet and mingle was embarkation day at 6 pm, we had a good turnout considering the time. Several ships officers were there and the event was mc'd by Russ.

The food in the main dining room was very good, I am a vegetarian and there was only one night I did not care for the entree. We had some fun tables and the wait staff was very professional and friendly. I love that there are no formal nights!

We ate at the buffet daily for lunch, was OK, I am not a fan of buffets so don't go by my opinion.

We More had 1 dinner at each of the specialty restaurants. They have a new policy which we enjoyed, if both couples agreed to share the table then you would share (this was asked when you made the reservation). Both times we met some great folks. As a vegetarian I actually enjoyed my entree in Prime C more.

We ate breakfast some mornings at the buffet, great waffles, and some days at the Discoveries restaurant. The service and delivery of food in a timely manner was greatly improved compared to our last AZ cruise September 2012. We had mentioned that in a comment card they sent around on the 3rd day and that evening the head of the dining room came to speak to us about our prior experience on the Journey.

The Azamazing evening at the Titanic Museum in Belfast was not really amazing.

The museum itself has a fabulous building but very little of substance inside, I understand this is due to the fact that the building cost so much they are unable to buy any artifacts. I am sure they will be able to in the future.

The food was suppose to be the last meal served on the Titanic before her tragic end, but I doubt they had pasta with pesto. The unfortunate part of the evening was the performance of the Irish step dancers. We were seated in the middle of the room, since there was no stage, all we could see was the bobbing of their heads. There were 2 large screen tv's but they were so dark you couldn't see anything. The best part of the evening was the bus ride back and the joke's told by the local guide.

The Captain was very professional and we felt very comfortable with his considerable experience at sea. The Hotel Director Philip and Russ the cruise director seemed to be everywhere.

We only attended one show, a recap of Broadway songs, which was excellent.

I did not care for the enrichment speaker, also a lot of his talks were at odd times. As non-drinkers, I have no opinion of the new alcohol policy.

The weather for the entire cruise was outstanding. It did not rain and was hot! (by scottish standards)

Disembarkation was a breeze, the only complaint is that on the last morning no room service coffee.

We will definitely sail on AZ again, we will be on The Journey in March 2014.

Ous second port was Greenock, Scotland (Glasgow) We took a ship's tour to The Kelvingrove Art Museum. This tour was really too short another 2 hours would have been great. The local guide was very funny, told us all the story of Kilts!

The third stop was Invergordon, Scotland. We took a Ship's tour to a amazing castle/gardens right on the sea. Again the countryside as fabulous. Less

Read more Azamara Quest cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Azamara Quest Review >>

Cabin review: Azamara Quest 7082

Cabin 7082, great location, near stairs and laundry. Typical Azamara balcony cabin, very small bathroom. Adequate storage, could use more drawers.

City Tour

(5.5)

We booked this tour with another couple from our roll call. This was a very interesting tour and the countryside was beautiful. As an American, I am sad to admit I did not know much of the ongoing religious issues in Belfast. Our guide, Gerald was very informative and enthusiastic about his home town. I would highly recommend this tour.

Giant's Causeway

(5.5)

Fabulous natural stone formations!

St. Andrews Walking Tour

(4)
Went to St. Andrews via bus, again a charming town. The local guide was fantastic. My DH really enjoyed the Old Course and we went to an interesting golf museum.

Lubeck Walking Tour

(5)
Fabulous old German city. The local guide, Barbara was very informative. The guide, Nada, who rode with us to Lubeck was wonderful. The lunch was very good (vegetarian for me requested in advance)but the restaurant was not air-conditioned. It was very warm.