Celebrity Constellation Cruise Review by tikigal: Celebrity Constellation Transatlantic Eastbound to Amsterdam May 2012

tikigal
Member Since 2004

Compare Prices on Celebrity Constellation Transatlantic Cruises

Celebrity Constellation Transatlantic Eastbound to Amsterdam May 2012

Sail Date: May 2012
Destination: Transatlantic

I am Tikigal, Kimberly, and traveling with my Mom and Dad on yet another adventure, this time on the Celebrity Constellation, part of the Millennium Class of ships. This was by far, one of my best experiences in cruising, and the staff made the trip over the top and perfect!
May 5th: Met up with Graeme Kelleher,(from South Africa) our Captain's Club Host and met Captain Peppas, who we already love, as We sailed with them both last year, and found the two of them to be very entertaining hosts and so knowledgeable, each in their own area of expertise.
The life boat drill was excellent for a change, where this time things were quite serious, since we were going transatlantic! We had an accessible suite for this trip in a Sky Suite ( dad is 92).
Day 2: We finally met our friends Roger and Jacqueline from Belgium. My mother and father really hit it off with them last year, and it was nice to be reunited again. Toured the ship and went to a Wine Masters event featuring South More African wine at the Tuscan Grill demonstration. We decided to have dinner there on one of the nights. The dinner show was packed, so be sure to get there early. We ate in San Marcos (main dining room).
Day 3: I am eating berries, and no bread, and trying to loose weight. Ha!. Learned how to play Texas Hold-em. I went to a lecture on Port del Gado in Azores, and we had a Captains Club party that was so packed, you had to get there early. Here the frequent Elite cruises (over 10 credits) gather for complimentary cocktails nightly. The best part, isn't it? And of course, making new friends.
Day 4: Went to Ocean Liners Restaurant, which is their specialty restaurant. The food is incredible in that restaurant. Also during the day, went to a wine appreciation seminar, and a pink luncheon put on by a member of the Cruise Critic group we signed up with. Everyone was in pink, and we raised $400.00 for Breast Cancer. The waite staff served us a beautiful lunch with baby quail, Hawaiian salad, and cute little pink desserts of all types. There was an interesting watch sale going on, and lots of jewelry to buy. We have a hoot nightly in the Captains Club, and sometimes, they brought in entertainment for us.
Day 5: Oh, a big sea day with swells of over 20 feet by noon. We will be in for a Royal Ride today! The San Marcos Restaurant was serving crepes for lunch, Yummy. Today was scrapbooking, cabin Crawl (touring rooms with cruise critics, I put this on), gym workouts, Captains Club party at Reflections and then dinner. The piano player was Elliot Finkle and he had 4 standing ovations.
Day 6: We are in the middle of the Sargasso Sea with waves at 26 feet and winds at 65 mph. We are 2 days out from land at Ponta Delgado which is North of Funchal and Tenerife by 1 day. Today was Music trivia and I won on the 60's music. More scrapbooking, and then to this crazy idea of Celebrity's, Olympic X games competition. It was so much fun. We played golf on deck 11 (Reflections) and boy was in rough trying to putt around the bar, and down to the dance floor. Later we went to a line dance class and watch the movie "The Help". Also, tonight late, was Liars Club, it was packed, because the main show in the theatre was cancelled due to high winds. Liars club, is where the officers tell lies, and we have to guess, who is telling the truth. Of course, we, as passengers are always fooled. It was great fun on a high seas night.
Day 7:Good old Dramamine, knocked me out, and I slept until noon. The seas were pretty rough yesterday and last night. I went to a Solo Travelers Luncheon, that was fun, where I met a judge who knew my attorney. Small world. There is a show, "The land of Make Believe" that was done incredibly well. Don't miss this show, if you haven't seen it yet. The Celebrity cast and dancers do a great job. Of course, what would traveling transatlantic be without Perry Grant? He has a huge following of fans, that sail Constellation, just because he is on board.
Day 8:Mothers day is today,and we have arrived in the Azores. I attended a local Mass and the streets were lined in flowers for a procession in town. There was modern line dance classes later in the day, and this island is known for Pineapple, San Georges Cheese, Canchee wine, and port. Alexandra Gemgerrey from the Gift shop on board was so nice. She always was anxious to see what we bought in town.
Day 9: Choppy day at sea. Workout in the gym and continue eating healthy, made me feel so much more active and less tired. I keep playing Olympic Golf hoping to do well. Our friends received a large bouquet of flowers during Captains Club celebration today I Reflections,for having the most cruises (130 or so, more than I can fathom).Ate dinner at the Tuscan Grill this evening- one of their Specialty restaurants. Maurico was our waiter, and the service was good. We had crab cakes, goat cheese cannelloni, wrapped in zucchini, lobster linguini, diver scallops, shrimp scampi. First time trying Pastat chocolate gelato. Yum.Day 10 Grand Buffett for Brunch was superb! Enjoyed meeting the Staff Captain (he looks like George Clooney) and Nikolas Vatianos, the Safety Officer, also a Captain in his own right. Tonight we had 14-18 foot seas. A gorgeous steak for dinner- The crew is gracious in every way. Captain Nikolas Vatianos, Safety officer was fun to get to know on board. I did not know before tonight that the Master of the Vessel, which is Captain Peppas, will have many captains in their own right underneath him, also qualified to run the ship, so I feel extra safe on board with this crew. Rich Clesen was our cruise director, and always went out of his way to meet each and every one of his in Elite. There were hundreds of Elite Captain's Club members on board, as this is one of their annual treks, to take the Constellation Transatlantic each year, and enjoy the music of Perry who performed in the lounge. He did an extra special treat the last night before Amsterdam, he was so popular, he headlined the closing act.
Day 12 went to LeHavre, France to do some shopping and enjoyed a French Restaurant in town. It was a cold and rainy day, bring your raincoats!
Day 13, Sailed past the white cliffs of Dover-spectacular, and Dover Castle. Now we are bound for Amsterdam, our last stop. We have enjoyed our Sky Suite, and I have enjoyed two fabulous weeks at sea with my parents. We are getting ready to do our Back to Back (B2B).
Day 14: Sailed through so many locks, so early in the morning, too bad,I wish it was later, so I could have enjoyed them more. Lots of windmills, everywhere, what a sight! There was a lot of fog as well. We are moving to a balcony room for the next segment of the journey- Amsterdam to Russia. Especially enjoyed Manuel Frageso, who was in charge of golf on board the Constellation, had a fabulous adventure course set up for us to play each day, and I got third place. Fun, fun, fun and thank you to all the staff! Great time! Less

Read more Celebrity Constellation cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Celebrity Constellation Review >>

Cabin review: Celebrity Constellation 8127

8127, Sky Suite Accessible.Great room for my dad and mom, and their limited mobility issues. Handrails in the shower, and room in the bathroom to move around. They brought in a separate refrigerator for his medications and needs. The staff for our sky suite was over the top friendly, and anxious to serve our every desire.Mid ship by the elevator.