Norwegian Breakaway Cruise Review by Mooder

Norwegian Breakaway
Norwegian Breakaway
Member Name: Mooder
Cruise Date: July 2013
Embarkation: New York (Manhattan)
Destination: Bermuda
Cabin Category: B1
Member Rating   5+ out of 5+
Dining 5+
Entertainment 5+
Value-for-Money Not Rated

I loved the Breakaway

Without intending to be contrary, I find that most of the comments I want to make concern negatives I read before I left. I guess its natural that thats what I was paying closest attention to.

Big ship/crowds: I only felt the crowds twice. Immediately after muster and after Rock of Ages (the theater lets out very close to the elevators). Otherwise, I kept wondering where they were. I think the elevator banks are great, especially the aft elevators (I was in an aft cabin). Unlike on the Jewel class ships they are not in a hallway needed by people just passing through. So, it never felt as crazy as the elevator lobbies on those smaller ships. Other than after muster, we never waited more than a minute for an elevator, usually much less. The Garden Cafe was the biggest surprise. No matter the time of day, we were always able to find a table easily, again unlike on Jewel class ships. If one area had a bit of a line, I was always able to walk to the next area and get the same thing without a line. So, waiting for omelets, custom pasta, etc. was never a problem.

Service: The grumpy crew must have been sent home because we couldnt find them. Our room steward was like our den mother and the wait staff was great. Contrary to what we had read, there are indeed WASHY WASHY HAPPY HAPPY and WAKEY WAKEY, EGGS AND BAKEY crew at the entrance to the buffet. They were a joy. We had a bit of a nasty experience checking in on the dock, but that's not crew.

Food: The food on the Breakaway is superb. I had gotten tired of Teppanyaki but my nephew wanted to go and am I glad. It was the best hibachi dinner I have ever had! We also ate at Bistro, Cagneys, OSheehans and Moderno and enjoyed them all. The low point is probably the dessert at Teppanyaki, but there is plenty of good dessert elsewhere on the ship. The buffet food was good and the LOBSTER and shrimp on seafood night was amazing! My lips are smacking just thinking about it. My only disappointment in the buffet was that grits are only served every other day... they are my cruise breakfast staple. I missed the Great Outdoors, but the Uptown Grill is a decent substitute. I even enjoyed the dirty water dogs at the Sabbretts cart.

Activities: Biggest problem is finding time to try out everything. The spa is great, with the therapy pool being the best Ive seen. The family slide was a thrill and enough of a thrill for me but the rest of my family tried them all and enjoyed them a lot. The lines were quick. The lines for the ropes course were a bit more difficult but they managed to find good times to do it. Margarita and Martini Tastings were a blast and we met some great people.

The timing was such that we never got to eat on the Waterfront but we had drinks and relaxed out there several times and loved it. It never seems crowded.

Entertainment: We enjoyed Cirque, Rock of Ages, and Slam Allen a LOT. We returned to Slam on multiple nights. We love the intimate settings as opposed to giant theaters. We also enjoyed the dueling pianos and the comedian/magician.

Cabin: Great layout, feeling roomier than on Jewel class ships. I missed drawers but there are two big ones under the sofa (in addition to shelves) so we had plenty of storage. The deck 12 aft balcony is huge and we were easily able to open the partitions to have one humungous balcony where we spent a lot of time drinking our own pina coladas (no problem bringing blender on in our luggage).

Publication Date: 08/04/13