Norwegian Sky Cruise Review by MrChocoholic: Norwegian

Compare Prices on Norwegian Sky Bahamas Cruises

Norwegian

Sail Date: June 2013
Destination: Bahamas

Intent was a quick getaway between the end of my 10 year-old daughter's school and the beginning of summer camp. Former colleague and her group had booked this ship this date--when she quoted her price I had to do it. Got my friend, brother, sister-in-law and nephew to come along. All were first-time cruisers, two over 60 years old. Norwegian delivered a memorable cruise experience for all of us. For me, it was the first cruise I've been on without a problem of some sort. Everything worked. The cabin was well-situated and exactly what was expected despite the ship's age. Bed was firm, comfortable. Great service from our steward. Extras I'd ordered to celebrate a birthday were delivered promptly. Restaurant service impeccable. Food in MDR was good, unspectacular, nicely presented. Steak came as ordered instead of overcooked. Lobsters on first night were fine as were all other meals. Buffet was adequate, decent selection, breakfast was fine. Birthday dinner at Le Bistro was excellent, More notably the rack of lamb chops and the creme brulee. When the captain sang the birthday song to my sister-in-law it was polite and kind...when he told a story about swimming with the dolphins to my daughter it was sweet and smart. Which shore excursion do you think she wanted in Nassau? The crazy Hawaiian theme with the art and color schemes and room names is kind of weird for a ship out of Miami that touches the Caribbean, but it's fun and eye-catching. The White Hot Party was moved to the night club due to weather but it was surprisingly fun even for this old man. Karaoke in the upstairs sports bar was more inviting and less intimidating than on other ships.

Visit to Great Stirrup was sensational. We loved the water slide, waverunner tour and snorkeling. Barbecue buffet was plentiful, fresh and offered some delicious salads with tropical ingredients. THAT was a surprise. Lack of natural trees is commercially solved--the line accepts money for canvas wraparound chaise-lounge enclosures. Nassau visit was short, we went on our own to Ft. Fincastle, Queen's Staircase, Ardastra Gardens (Marching Flamingos!) and a late leisurely lunch at Arawak Cay Fish Fry's most celebrated restaurant, Frankie Gone Bananas. Last night at sea all of us adults won a couple of bucks in the casino (amazing!) While my daughter found happiness between the video arcade, pools and hot tubs I was content to relax on surprisingly uncrowded decks, play ping-pong, drink and dance. Now I'm ready to try Holland-America. Less

Read more Norwegian Sky cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Norwegian Sky Review >>

Cabin review: Norwegian Sky

8118 is an inside end unit located just forward of midships on the atrium. Next to passageway with elevators connecting fore-aft main passageways. Adjacent to main stairway and elevator landing. VERY convenient, yet quiet. Cabin is smallish, storage adequate for short voyages. Bathroom minimal, little storage space, a bit of rust where water collects and paint has come off but no stains or dirt. Decently appointed although TV is old-school CRT tube type. I liked the ice bucket/tongs/glasses. Wish there was another electrical outlet.

Told driver where to take us. Had an amazingly delicious meal: conch salad is to die for. Slow service, cold beer.

Read 2609 Nassau Reviews

Ardastra Gardens

(5.5)

Took my kid there 50 years after my parents took me. Much nicer now, covered bench seats. Pink flamingos "march" and "perform" for visitors. Many other interesting animals on display, gorgeous landscaping with tons of bromeliads, peacocks run wild. Truly a great stop.

City Tour

(5.5)

Brief immersion into Bahamian history and culture. Saw Government House, Parliament Square, toured Queen's Staircase, Fort Fincastle.