Golden Princess Cruise Review by Malela9

Embarkation: Seattle
Destination: Alaska
Cabin Category: BA
Cabin Number: B435
See More About: Golden Princess Cruise Reviews | Alaska Cruise Reviews | Princess Cruise Deals
Rates 5+

Great cruise, horrible gym

My husband and I just got off the Golden Princess and I would like to share some of our pro and cons.

Pros: Great passengers!Everyone sailing was very nice. Kids were well behaved and not running wild on this cruise. The naturalist , Kathy Slamp was amazing! We were also lucky enough to have the author of the Alaska Cruise Companion book with us. She really rounded out what the naturalist had to say.We went to every Scholarship at Sea presentation. Our cabin steward, Jorge was also very good.

Ok (not great): The food. The pizza I have been hearing so much about had barely any cheese on it. The dining room selections were very bland. The best night of food in the dining room was the last night. My mother who has sailed on the Golden Princess said this as well. I loved the coffee card and the International Cafe selections. I wish they had more whole grain pasta options. The service from the staff was ok. The dining room staff was nice, we had any time dining, but other staff members were not as cheerful or pleasant. I was surprised.

Cons: The Gym!!! They boast about fitness on the ship, but they only have 6 elliptical machines, and the gym does not open until 7 A.M. My husband had to leave our cabin at 6:30 every morning to get to the gym. He said when he got there, there were at least 20 people waiting to get in. Not everyone was able to work out at that time. We spoke to Passenger Services and they said they were aware of the issue, but there was nothing they could do.

We enjoyed this cruise to beautiful Alaska, however, my husband was so unhappy with the gym situation, that I do not think we will cruise with Princess Cruises again until they change their policies. Most hotels we travel to , and we are business travelers, have 24 hour work out rooms now. The cruise was not so amazing that we would make a point to go on this line again.

Publication Date: 08/04/13