Statendam Cruise Review by sonsan1

Cruise Date: July 2013
Embarkation: Seward
Destination: Alaska
Cabin Category: N
See More About: Statendam Cruise Reviews | Alaska Cruise Reviews | Holland America Cruise Deals
Dining 5+
Rates 5+

Ship Facts: Statendam Review (by Cruise Critic!) | Statendam Deck Plans
One of the best cruises we've ever taken

Ship is 20 years old. Refurbed in 2010 but still a 20 year old plant.

Check-in was fastest in 20 cruises. 10 minutes. Inside cabin was adequate and clean. Good water pressure and temp. comfortable bed, good storage, good light. Had loveseat, small coffee table. TV adequate. Got off the Freedom of the Seas last fall and now can say I like Statendam size BETTER than the Mega ships. No it doesn't have a boulevard down the middle of the ship with a Morgan sportscar parked next to the wine shop or zip lines or rock climbing walls (after all it is Holland America) but it does have the traditional promenade deck for stolling and leaning against the rail and you can wrap up in a blanket (provided for you),sit in a deck chair and watch God's handywork slide by.........if you can keep your eyes open. I was in nap Heaven.

Food was the best of all cruises (RCCL, Carnival, Princess, Costa, NCL, Disney).

Philipino and Indonesion staff nice as they could be. They try to remember your name. I mean everybody tries. The Bartenders, wait staff, cabin attendant, etc. Speaking of cabin attendants, Harry and Dodi must have been watching when we came and went because the cabin was serviced before we could get back from a meal.

Entertainment was fine for the size. Had some really talented Kids performing.

Enjoyed wine tastings with Ron. Lyn was everywhere,drinks in hand; except when she was doing a man's job during a lifeboat drill. Yes Holland America unhooks the lifeboats, lowers them into the water and actually checks them out with the crew. I felt veddy veddy safe. This was a wonderful cruise.....UNTIL we got off the boat in Vancouver. The company HAL uses to get you from the cruiseport to the airport is woefully inefficient and inadequate. I tell you no lie. We waited longer in the line to board a bus than we waited during the entire rest of the disembarkation process, including luggage and customs. They had a stressed out little old lady (Nancy) who was trying to board 3 busses at the same time, 2 passengers at a time. I am slow but this was ridiculous. When I said something about the pace she got quite short with me. I didn't appreciate it and will be reporting her to HAL. This incident aside, SAIL THE STATENDAM!!!

Publication Date: 07/31/13