Pacific Pearl Cruise Review by pacificcruise

Cruise Date: July 2013
Embarkation: Sydney (Australia)
Destination: South Pacific
Cabin Category: FF
See More About: Pacific Pearl Cruise Reviews | South Pacific Cruise Reviews | P&O Australia Cruise Deals
Dining 5+
Service Not Rated

Ship Facts: Pacific Pearl Review (by Cruise Critic!)
Pacific Pearl New Caledonia

We looked forward to our cruise for six months. We were only slightly dissapointed. I had read some very poor reviews so I was aware things may not go well. P and O shore staff and Embarkation staff were all very good. We were aboard by lunch time even though we were on deck 6.

My husband and I travelled with our adult son and daughter ages 21 and 24. There were only a handful of people in this age group. They did make friends with others but they found the cruise a little boring for their age group. Most

Entertainment seemed to be geared for over 40's including the nightclub.

My husband and I enjoyed all the entertainment but we only had 2 sea days in a row otherwise it could become boring. I think some entertainment staff need to be more engaged, its not just a job. Performers were excellent.

The cabin was clean and was very spacious, and the steward very helpful and polite. I hate it when hotel staff crawl all over me and appear fake when we holiday. This service felt genuine and real. Bingo and Art auction staff could do with a little of this.

We had no problems with leaks, air con or bathroom issues. We did however hear all the noise early morning when the lifeboats are lowered for Tendering ashore.

Food in the Buffet restaurant was of good quality but we only ate there once. Waterfront food and service we all found to be outstanding. Large amount of choices and you could order as little or as much as you like. Small/medium serves were good as you could try lots of different things. Always good quality and never cold.

Salt we visited once and was worth the the surcharge of $40.

Drinks are way overpriced but its a holiday and what choice do you have if you want to drink.

The public areas are nice and clean.

Wouldnt go to Noumea if I had any choice, the aquarium is worth a visit, lots of different fish. We just caught the $5 link shuttle to the aquarium and because the staff make no attempt to speak english, despite the amount of cruise boats that visit, we were only charged for 2 adults, not 4. We found this out when our visa statement arrived. Mare lovely beach and snorkelling. Mystery Island very nice and good snorkelling,we did lagoon tour on Isle of Pines $70 each. Other then that and swimming there is not much else to do on these Islands but we were happy with that.

We were dissapointed at the lack of little things like a pen in the room, mine ran out day one and the cheapest in the shop was $4. We saw a great display from highly qualified staff making carved fruit, wonderful animals and funny tricks from dinner napkins and cabin towels. Apparently this was the norm years ago. Such a pity these skills will become a dying art if P and O don't allow their staff time to do them.

Would we go again? My husband and I yes, our adult kids?no.

Questions are all welcome so ask away.

Publication Date: 08/01/13