Freedom of the Seas Cruise Review by mominva

Entertainment 5+
        13-15 5+
        16+ 5+

Fun on Freedom of the Seas

Our family includes my husband and me and our 3 teenagers (16, 15 and 13). We chose Freedom of the Seas because it had a lot of activities to offer our children.

Port Canaveral is such an easy port to deal with. We parked at Park N Cruise for $5 a day, and they dropped us off at the terminal 10 minutes away. Royal Caribbean took our bags right there. We then got in a long line. The line actually went pretty fast and soon we were on board.

Cabins- We had 2 interior cabins. On the down side, they were tiny. The shower was small. On the plus side, they were super quiet and completely dark. The beds were comfortable and I slept great. My husband worked out every day and just showered at the gym. Those showers were bigger. Also, since we had so much to do, we weren't in the rooms that much.

Dining- We ate all breakfasts in the MDR. The first morning I learned that they do not seat partial parties. Also, they will seat you with other passengers to fill up tables and use as few tables as possible. My 2 daughters were coming right behind us and they tried to seat us at a table for 4 with 2 other passengers. We got it worked out, but on future mornings, we waited in the lobby until we were all there. The breakfasts in the MDR were relaxing. My husband ordered off of the menu and went to get more at the buffet. They bring fresh pastries and orange juice and coffee to the table. I requested iced tea and they brought that to me. On the buffet, I always got the fresh fruit, granola, nuts and whipped cream. Very tasty. My daughter did not care for the pancakes or french toast but enjoyed the eggs and bacon. People told us that they ate breakfast in the Windjammer and the MDR and the MDR was a much better experience.

Lunch- We never tried the MDR for lunch because they closed too early. We ate every day in the Windjammer. Here, the problems are finding a table and meeting up with your family. There is an area where you can wait and the waiters will get you a table. I recommend going there the first day and letting them help you. It is too frustrating on your own. It was nice that they kept the Windjammer open longer on port days. Also, they go from lunch to an afternoon tea every day. So, you usually can get food and drink in there. I drank iced tea from there all day!

Dinners- Every night we ate dinner in the MDR. It was a pleasant experience. On many nights, at the end of the meal, the head waiter introduced the bar staff or the waiters or the cooks. They played music and marched around. Everyone waved their white napkins over their heads or clapped. It is very festive and we all enjoyed it.

Activities

On Monday, we went to the Meet and Mingle which was held in Olive or Twist lounge. It has an amazing view. The assistant cruise director Jaime was the emcee. He is so funny. They gave away several prizes including 30 minutes of free internet. You should definitely go; you may get lucky!

There are so many activities ranging from origami to Michael Jackson Name that Tune to the 70's dance party. We went to many of them and had a great time. The Quest show is super popular; we had a tough time finding a seat. Get there early. The Love and Marriage show was hilarious. The ice show was great as well the Once Upon a Time musical. On the whole, my husband and I were impressed with the entertainment. The welcome aboard show and the farewell show were just so-so.

Teen Activities

My kids had so much fun and met other teens from all over, including girls celebrating their quinceanera. They held dances every night for the teens. They had teen ice-skating time, a teen rock climbing competition, a teen scavenger hunt and teen flow-rider time. My daughter said that the ice skates were bad and the ice was rough, but she still had fun. The teen soccer game never happened for some unexplained reason which disappointed my other daughter. She said that all of the kids showed up, but no teen rep came to set up. Also, there are several activities on the schedule. My 16 year old would show up to participate and the teen rep would ask the kids if they wanted to start the activity (such as Battle of the Sexes). If they said no, it didn't happen. She was frustrated and stopped going to the scheduled activities because she felt like they weren't going to happen. Luckily, she also likes doing the adult crafts such as napkin folding and origami.

The teen boys played basketball. I also saw teens having fun playing volleyball.

This ship kept my kids so busy that it allowed my husband and me to sit and read and nap on the adult side. It was so relaxing. We never heard, "What can I do?" or "I'm bored."

We had sailed on Disney Fantasy last summer and had a ball. We were wondering if this ship could provide just as fun an experience. Yes, it was as fun. We all had a great vacation and created many memories!

Publication Date: 07/31/13