Oasis of the Seas Cruise Review by millem3: Best Cruise Ever on the Oasis of the Seas

millem3
Member Since 2010

Family & Children 2.0

Compare Prices on Oasis of the Seas Eastern Caribbean Cruises

Best Cruise Ever on the Oasis of the Seas

Sail Date: July 2013

We were celebrating our last family summer vacation before our son goes off the college in August. We asked our two kids what they wanted to do and they said go on a Caribbean Cruise and we want to go on that large ship (Oasis) we saw in port when we cruised 3 years ago. So Royal Caribbean Oasis of the Seas it is.

The embarkation process was seamless. We stayed at Rennaisance, and took the shuttle to port for $6 per person. We arrived at port about 11 and we were on board a little after 11:30. Rooms weren't ready until 1:00. I brought one carryon aboard which had swimsuits and change of clothes for all. Our luggage didn't get to our room until about 8PM. We headed for lunch as soon as we got on board and beat much of the croud aboard (since a few days before we received an email that said don't come to the port before 12:30.

The fitness center was incredible. I was able to work out 4 of the days of our cruise. I believe this helped me only put on 4.5 lbs. during the More cruise vs. an average of 10 lbs per person on average for Oasis we were told. It was great to see many of the cast members of Hairspray and the diving show working out at the Fitness Center. They were very friendly to talk to.

We rated the Dining overall a 4. We were a bit disappointed by private dining. So much so that my wife and kids wanted to eat at Windjammer. We did eat at private dining for the two formal nights. Our service team was just ok, maybe that was the disappointment. We had such a great dining service team on our other (Princess) Cruise, maybe that was the disappointment. We would ask for suggestions from our wait staff, but that was not his strong point. On our last cruise they would encourage the kids to try different foods/multiple dishes. Windjammer had much better service, but the food is "buffet style", so it was ok. We did enjoy the pizza restaurant (5th), and Park Cafe (on 8th)and the kids enjoyed the free yogurt in the Wipe Out (15th)We did not try the "premium" eating establishments, so I can't review those. They really tried to selling premium dining packages on the first day we boarded, but we didn't "bite".

The Entertainment as fantastic. Most of the shows we went to (and we hit them all)were a 5. Hairspray was overall our favorite, even for me and I really don't enjoy going to broadway plays. I would maybe give the ice show a 4. It was very good, but the ice rink is just so small, kind of hard for them to move around and do their most difficult moves. They even showed Turbo (3D movie) on the day after it first premiered in the U.S. Very cool.

Overall it was a very good cruise and the family really enjoyed it. Cost wise it was about twice what we paid to go on Crown Princess 3 years ago, but Oasis was quite the overall vacation experience. I would say the extra money for Oasis was worth it.

For those that fear getting sea sick while at sea, the Oasis sized ship is perfect for you. Majority of time I could not tell that I was on a ship. That even included one evening when we experienced 10 foot swells (captain said ship is designed to take up to 40 foot swells). The only time I could tell I was on a ship is when sitting on the balcony watching the water go by or when on 15 or 16 and looking over the edge. A very smooth sailing vessel she is.

Disembarktion was smooth as well. We had pre-assigned departure time between 10:30 and 10:45 (assigned earlier in the week). We were off the ship at 10:47. Our waiting room was Studio B (ice arena). Less

Read more Oasis of the Seas cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Oasis of the Seas Review >>

Cabin review: Oasis of the Seas Superior Oceanview Stateroom with Balcony Deck 6

Due to price drop after we had made final payment, we were upgraded from two interior rooms to two ocean view rooms with balconies. They were both on 7 (one on starboard side and other on port side)in the aft (back). The balconies were much enjoyed, so much so that I doubt we could book another interior room going forward. My wife & I had one room and our kids had the other which gave us both a little bit of privacy. There was plenty of storage for our stuff. It was nice the luggage all fit under the bed. The only complaint about the room was the safe. Didn't work one time and maintenance had to come to reset (they were there within 5 mins). Stopped working again about 3 days later and then didn't trust it any longer.

We wanted to do an excursion to Atlantis but given we were only in port from 7am to 2PM and the water park doesn't open up until 10am we decided to pass on Atlantis(wasn't worth the high price of admission). We got off the ship and walked around town for about 2 hours. We weren't impressed. The Cruise Critic research I had done beforehand was very accurate. It seemed like someone was always trying to sell us something . . . the time on land was not very relaxing or enjoyable. We did go to the straw market, which was interesting. It got old fast after visiting a number of stands. I realize this is how they make their living, but I believe a "less aggressive" sales approach would be more "inviting" to cruisers. We did buy a few t-shirts and then moved on to other parts of town.

Read 2644 Nassau Reviews