Carnival Splendor Cruise Review by ladylt2065: Another Great Vacation

Family & Children 5.0

Compare Prices on Carnival Splendor Eastern Caribbean Cruises

Another Great Vacation

Sail Date: July 2013
Embarkation: New York (Manhattan)

I just returned today from the 8 Day Cruise (Our group of 8 ranged in age from 16 to 73. I had a great time, it was a really good group of people on this ship.

Embarkation was a breeze as always, not a single complaint from anyone in my group.

The ship was pretty, a bit gaudy, but that is all part of the fun.....I do wish it had gone into dry dock as scheduled last year so we could have enjoyed some of the upgrades....maybe next time.

I will say that I had the worst dining room service that I have ever had on Carnival. They were good the first night and got progressively worse throughout the voyage.

I am not one of these cruisers who expects Cunard Cruise Line Service and I love Carnival, but it was really bad. We had the early assigned seating and was assigned to the 2nd level of the Black Pearl which is also the anytime dining restaurant...it also looked like they were training a lot of new people. It took over half hour to just be asked if anyone More wanted a soda or drink. I found the food to be good but many times it was cold and that was due to the slow service I think; because in the past food temperature was fine. We ate in the Pinnacle Steak House two times and it was absolutely delicious!!! It is worth every penny!

The Tandoori Indian Food Station was wonderful as was the Deli and Mongolian Wok. Sure there were lines, but what is the rush....it is vacation and your floating around the ocean with no place to get to.

My only other observation that is critical is the amount of smoking that is allowed in the Casino. I am a former smoker and I understand how people enjoy smoking when gambling, drinking etc., but the Casino really smelled horrible and I didn't go there as often as I would have liked because of that. Maybe they could put all the smoking machines in one area rather than mix them all in. Again, not picking on smokers as I was one, but it is something the Cruise Line should consider.

Our kids joined the teen club for kids 15 - 17 and had a blast and actually finally made some friends who live just a few towns from us.

The size of our room was great. We were in a balcony cabin on Deck 8, Forward and Kodak was our Steward....he was ABSOLUTELY WONDERFUL! All the Stewards work their tails off as does the buffet staff.

The adult pool was great (Lido Deck 9 AFT). It had two hot tubs and a decent size pool. There was a Serenity Deck on this ship and I saw it upon getting on the ship but never spent anytime there as I usually do. This Serenity Deck wasn't as nice as the ones on The Miracle and The Glory in my opinion as there was no pool or hot tub. Still a great place to get away from all the noise however.

This was our 2nd cruise with Malcolm (woo hoo) as the Cruise Director. I wasn't overly impressed with him on our first cruise but he was a bit better this time (especially his humor in the finale show).

We did the self disembark and we were home back in Long Island from the Pier by 9:50 AM.

Overall, as I always maintain, any vacation is what you make of it....my group of 8 had a wonderful time and will absolutely sail Carnival again! Less

Read more Carnival Splendor cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Carnival Splendor Review >>

Cabin review: Carnival Splendor Balcony Verandah 8262

Big room, plenty of closet, shelving and draw space. Good size bathroom with shelves on either side of sink to hold personal items. View from Balcony when leaving NY is of the City Skyline and on the return the Statue of Liberty was right outside my balcony door. This room was near the glass elevators and conveniently located to the buffet and pools one deck above (cabins were directly overhead, nothing noisy) and also conveniently located to the shops and casino. In the evening one of the two entry ways to that area of the ship is closed to cut down on any noise or music that may be on down in the main bar area on Deck 3. It was never an issue for us.

Beautiful place but very HOT and HUMID....I could only manage 20 minutes out in the sun until I got back on the ship. You absolutely need water shoes here as we learned the hard way last year when our friend stepped on a sea urchin! The water is gorgeous

I didn't like Margaritaville....it was too crowded...no lounge chairs or tables available and the pool was crowded and the pool water so warm that it wasn't refreshing but actually kind of scuzy! There were two Carnival Ships in Port at that time so it is a lot of people to accommodate.

We used the FREE trolly that will take you all over the Old San Juan area. You can get on and off as you like. It beats walking especially if it is hot. There are stops directly across the street from the Passenger Terminal and to the left on the corner. The people at the Port can direct you.

Read 1353 San Juan Reviews

Go to MorningStar Beach....it is an inexpensive 10 minute taxi ride and it is gorgeous and NOT crowded.

This was our second time in St. Thomas and do yourself a favor and bring water shoes!!! Last year we went to Coki Beach and no water shoes were needed but this year when we went to MorningStar Beach they had A LOT of rocks and the water shoes that we brought with us for Grand Turk would have come in handy!

MorningStar Beach is far better!!! We were very uncomfortable at Coki Beach as you had to really keep an eye on your belongings and there were way too many questionable people just walking around.

Read 2318 St. Thomas Reviews