Norwegian Breakaway Cruise Review by jbcingular31

Home > Reviews > Member Reviews > Norwegian Breakaway Cruise Review by jbcingular31
Norwegian Breakaway
Norwegian Breakaway
Member Name: jbcingular31
Cruise Date: July 2013
Embarkation: New York (Manhattan)
Destination: Bermuda
Dining 5+

Big, But Not Big Enough

I have taken cruises on NCL before and wanted to try there new ship the Breakaway. I am a young single guy that has cruised both with my girlfriend and my family. On the Breakaway I went with a couple of buddies. For the record I have cruised on NCL Jewel and NCL Star and had the greatest time on both.

The Good:

The food on the Breakaway is great. The Buffet is great and always has great fresh food for Breakfast, Lunch, and Dinner. Any sit down place is excellent. Beware though that the portions at the sit down places can be small, but the food is great. I suggest you check out Taste, Teppanyaki, and La Cucina. There are bars everywhere and all stocked with your favorite liquor. The Ice Bar is a very fun experience but its a little to cold to enjoy a drink. I had a Mini Suite and it worked fine for me. The bathroom was nice, balcony was great and I loved the flat screen LED TV in my room. Bermuda is the best. I beg you to go to Horseshoe Bay Beach. You will never see another beach like Horseshoe. Pink velvet sand, calm coves for snorkeling, and some waves. They also have chairs for rent and food/drink for sale. I also recommend you take the Dockyard Jet Ski Tour. We actually say many tropical fish on the jet ski including a few dolphins. The events on the boat are cool. I never got to see the fireworks since it was raining but I here they are great. Definitely check out the Deal Or No Deal, Dancing With The Stars, and the 80s Party.

The Bad:

Crowded, Crowded, Crowded. If you hate large crowds and some tight spaces, do not cruise on Breakaway. Good luck trying to find a pool chair on a sea day. You gotta get there by 7 AM or your going chair less. There are a thousand people in the pool and you will wait 30 minutes to get in a hot tub. The Whip slides are fun, but you will wait in a line for almost an hour. DO NOT GO ON THE FREE FALL SLIDES. I was so pumped to get on it until a girl I had become friendly with on the ship went on and came off with layers of skin off her back. So many people hurt there backs and got stuck on those slides. You really don't get that tight knit feel with the crew and other guests on this boat most likely because the boat is so crowded. You have to pay for most of the shows in the theater, not like on other boats where you could just show up to the theatre and watch the show. You have to keep you card in the slot in your room for the power to work. This means that you will walk to to your room hot because there is no AC until you put in the card. Most of the crew is friendly, but there are few that are nasty and don't want to be bothered. Dolce Gelato, Rope Course, and Carlos are almost never open. You can't get on the basketball on the court after 9 PM because the crew takes over and starts playing games. That really frustrated me. The ship is supposed to be for the paying guests, not the crew!

To summarize, I had fun on this cruise but the definitely need to work out some bugs. My suggestion for you is to try it, but I definitely liked NCLs smaller ships more.

Publication Date: 07/30/13