Star Princess Cruise Review by cruisingcrew2006: Alaska was beautiful BUT beware of the food and route

cruisingcrew2006
Member Since 2013

Family & Children 1.0

Compare Prices on Star Princess Alaska Cruises

Alaska was beautiful BUT beware of the food and route

Sail Date: July 2013
Destination: Alaska
Embarkation: Seattle

There were two main issues for us on the cruise.

The food was literally inedible in the Horizon Court Buffet and as a result the restaurants were even more crowded. The selections were all over the place, example; tuna marinara casserole, next to tepid chinese food, next to green curry dried on the edges of the dish. The freshly sliced meat station, had atypical cuts of meat that were all over cooked and dry. Breakfast had undercooked french toast, pure sugar water syrup, mushy tepid oatmeal and runny scrambled eggs. Literally on our last day I did not eat anything except fruit Friday morning, found nothing palatable for lunch so I ate nothing and had to choose between dining in the Dining rooms or see any part of Victoria at all. So I went 24 hours without eating instead of eating at the buffet. Pretty sad. There were several servers, but when thy did finally ask you for your drink order (after you sat and ate for 5-10 minutes) they acted irritated that you asked for water. More I found myself going to sit down and go get my own drinks, which I am sure they did not appreciate, but then came back to cold food.

The Trident Grill was dreadful, pre cooked burger patties and hot dogs thrown onto the grill for a few seconds before being served. Pizza dreadful. The International Cafe had the best food readily available and I did not know it was no charge until DAY 3.

The dining room servers were wonderful, I cannot say enough about how great and attentive they were, but the food was uneventful. Not bad, but definitely not great.

We did end up going to the Crown Grill, which had a $25 cover charge per person and it was AMAZING FOOD! I know it seems crazy to pay for your food on a cruise but we literally had unlimited lobster, steak and sophisticated desserts and appetizers for $50 for two. They did not charge is for our 7 year old because there was not anything he liked and on top of that made him a plate of spaghetti noodled at no charge. Staff was great!

Now for the entertainment.

Shuffle board court hard to find, missing equipment and had broken equipment. Pools were very nice and I liked having a covered pool so my son could swim everyday and not be cold.

Comedian was great. Ventriloquist was HORRIBLE. At one point he asked the room awkwardly if there was anyone in the room.

Singers and dancers were amazing but the show was a bit dated in style and choreography.

Piazza entertainers were all great and kept the atmosphere very lively and made you want to go there to see what was going on.

Art auctions were fun, just make sure if you buy do not buy over the reserve price. Don't get caught in a bidding war, because you can buy off the rack for reserve plus 20%. Very knowledgeable staff - but not too friendly if you come in dressed very casually.

Trivia and game shows were great time fillers.

Lastly, we were disappointed that the Seattle departure , which is very convenient for us, followed the straight of Juan de Fuca and out to sea. Very rocky seas that were not great for anyone with seasickness tendencies. The Vancouver ship sails through the fjords and passes to the same destinations where the scenery is truly spectacular. Will go Vancouver if I go again. Less

Read more Star Princess cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Star Princess Review >>

Cabin review: Star Princess Oceanview Double with Balcony Caribe Deck A410

Cabin A410 - loved being one floor down from the Lido deck - very convenient. Location of cabin was midship so it was easy to go to either end and we were about 3 cabins down from where the elevator waiting area was so it was very quiet. Minimal ship motion for people like me who are a little prone to seasickness. I noticed a big difference from our cabin to our families in B302, much more motion there.

Ketchikan was fun, but there was not enough time there.. We did a self guided walking tour. But the lumberjack show looked great and was just steps away from the port. I did not book it because of its length and I thought I would need to get back to the ship - but it is right there and easy to get to. Stop by for the fish and chips right on the dock for lunch. Very pushy jewelry shop hawkers on the street.