Star Princess Cruise Review by cruisingcrew2006

Home > Reviews > Member Reviews > Star Princess Cruise Review by cruisingcrew2006
Star Princess
Star Princess
Member Name: cruisingcrew2006
Cruise Date: July 2013
Embarkation: Seattle
Destination: Alaska
Cabin Category: BA
Cabin Number: A410
See More About: Star Princess Cruise Reviews | Alaska Cruise Reviews | Princess Cruise Deals
        7-9 1.0
Shore Excursions 5+

Ship Facts: Star Princess Review (by Cruise Critic!) | Star Princess Deck Plans
Alaska was beautiful BUT beware of the food and route

There were two main issues for us on the cruise.

The food was literally inedible in the Horizon Court Buffet and as a result the restaurants were even more crowded. The selections were all over the place, example; tuna marinara casserole, next to tepid chinese food, next to green curry dried on the edges of the dish. The freshly sliced meat station, had atypical cuts of meat that were all over cooked and dry. Breakfast had undercooked french toast, pure sugar water syrup, mushy tepid oatmeal and runny scrambled eggs. Literally on our last day I did not eat anything except fruit Friday morning, found nothing palatable for lunch so I ate nothing and had to choose between dining in the Dining rooms or see any part of Victoria at all. So I went 24 hours without eating instead of eating at the buffet. Pretty sad. There were several servers, but when thy did finally ask you for your drink order (after you sat and ate for 5-10 minutes) they acted irritated that you asked for water. I found myself going to sit down and go get my own drinks, which I am sure they did not appreciate, but then came back to cold food.

The Trident Grill was dreadful, pre cooked burger patties and hot dogs thrown onto the grill for a few seconds before being served. Pizza dreadful. The International Cafe had the best food readily available and I did not know it was no charge until DAY 3.

The dining room servers were wonderful, I cannot say enough about how great and attentive they were, but the food was uneventful. Not bad, but definitely not great.

We did end up going to the Crown Grill, which had a $25 cover charge per person and it was AMAZING FOOD! I know it seems crazy to pay for your food on a cruise but we literally had unlimited lobster, steak and sophisticated desserts and appetizers for $50 for two. They did not charge is for our 7 year old because there was not anything he liked and on top of that made him a plate of spaghetti noodled at no charge. Staff was great!

Now for the entertainment.

Shuffle board court hard to find, missing equipment and had broken equipment. Pools were very nice and I liked having a covered pool so my son could swim everyday and not be cold.

Comedian was great. Ventriloquist was HORRIBLE. At one point he asked the room awkwardly if there was anyone in the room.

Singers and dancers were amazing but the show was a bit dated in style and choreography.

Piazza entertainers were all great and kept the atmosphere very lively and made you want to go there to see what was going on.

Art auctions were fun, just make sure if you buy do not buy over the reserve price. Don't get caught in a bidding war, because you can buy off the rack for reserve plus 20%. Very knowledgeable staff - but not too friendly if you come in dressed very casually.

Trivia and game shows were great time fillers.

Lastly, we were disappointed that the Seattle departure , which is very convenient for us, followed the straight of Juan de Fuca and out to sea. Very rocky seas that were not great for anyone with seasickness tendencies. The Vancouver ship sails through the fjords and passes to the same destinations where the scenery is truly spectacular. Will go Vancouver if I go again.

Publication Date: 07/30/13