Crown Princess Cruise Review by sunprincess

Crown Princess
Crown Princess
Member Name: sunprincess
Cruise Date: October 2006
Embarkation: New York (Manhattan)
Cabin Category: I
Cabin Number: R741
See More About: Crown Princess Cruise Reviews | Western Caribbean Cruise Reviews | Princess Cruise Deals
Member Rating   5+ out of 5+
Dining 5+
Public Rooms 5+
Entertainment 5+
Value-for-Money Not Rated
Rates 5+

Crown Princess - Western Caribbean
CROWN PRINCESS REVIEW OCTOBER 18-27, 2006 Overall impression - AWESOME cruise. Cruising from Red Hook was so easy & painless, cannot wait to do it again. EMBARKATION: fastest ever. Within 5 minutes I was on the ship. No line for Elite. There was a line for other pax when we arrived, seemed to move quickly. Luggage arrived promptly. SHIP : The Crown is a beauty. For as large as she is you never felt crowded. Many cozy, intimate areas. The ship was clean - no smells that I noticed. Crew very attentive and friendly. I had many friends onboard working & was treated like one of the Princess family. I used both the stairs & elevators. I did hear other pax complain about the slowness of the elevators. My impression that Sanctuary did not get used much at all. Too much shade for me personally. But, it is a lovely area. CABIN: I had an AFT inside cabin on Riviera Deck. Quite comfortable & roomy for me as a single. Loved the location off the Terrace Pool. Noise was minimal. The new pillows & bed linens are comfy & lush. My first experience with an eggcrate mattress - loved it. I faxed in my request and it was on my bed when I arrived. Did find it kept the 2 twin beds together nicely. My cabin steward Sak was excellent. DINING: Generoso Mazzone is one of the finest Maitre Ds in the fleet. I am proud to call him my friend. He greets return pax with a warm welcome, providing royal treatment. I chose Alternative Dining and was in the Michelangelo Dining Room with Godwin. He selected a perfect table for us, which we had a standing 8:30 reservation. Our waiter & Jr. waiter - both George - from Romania, were phenomenal. From Day 1 we hit it off with them. Every night we had specially prepared items served to us by Chris our HW (thanks to Generoso). The new menu design had us confused at first. We dined in Sabatini (on Italian Night) to celebrate a birthday. We were not disappointed. The have made some subtle changes to how they serve the courses, but, the food remains excellent. The staff were comedians along with their excellent service. We had a very special meal. Godwin arranged a beautiful & delicious birthday cake. Breakfast was always in Horizon Court. Never any problems with lines or food. Tried both the Trident Grill and Prego Pizzeria for lunch - excellent food & service. Found myself skipping many lunches this cruise. PORTS OF CALL: Having been to these ports before I was not crazed to book tours, just relax & enjoy. Having 4 sea days was fabulous (much needed after our port intensive Greek Isles cruise) GRAND TURK: Beautiful sunny day. Did not venture downtown. Instead stayed near the pier area. Our 1st Margaritaville. There is a decent beach within walking distance. Free chair use, umbrellas available for rent. Seemed like some of the shops with in the area were not yet opened. But, was able to make my needed purchases. OCHO RIOS, JAMAICA: Another lovely sunny, hot day. We all did different activities. Bamboo Beach Day - relaxing, good food, nice beach area. Dunns River Falls - at least once you have to visit/climb the falls. Lovely. For me, I ventured out to Island Village. 2nd Margaritaville. Got my Blue Mountain Coffee & jerk sauces. Met up with my band friends & spent the afternoon sipping Corona & Red Stripe. GRAND CAYMAN: Our only tender port. Another beautiful hot/sunny day. Major shopping day. We waited to avoid the early morning rush for tenders. By 10am no lines at all. 3rd Margaritaville. We did get hit with a brief thunderstorm upon leaving Cayman, followed by a colorful rainbow. PORT CANAVERAL: Hot/sunny day spent onboard. I was surprised how many pax did stay onboard. Non-US citizens did have to go thru US Immigration Inspection today. ENTERTAINMENT: Within our group of 5 we all did attend many onboard events. The production shows & Sarge among new cruiser favorites. I found my favorite spot this cruise to be Crooners. This was our before & after dinner cocktail stop. Singer Brett Cave was stellar. We bonded with our Crooner Boys (Pavlin, Cristian, Bo, Dragos, Rafael) immediately. Every night was fun-filled. Soon enough we had regulars join us. Poolside Melodies with Robert Smith & Epithani always excellent. I was sad to see Robert leave early in Port Canaveral. Both Robert & Brett did shows in Explorers that were super excellent. We did venture up to Skywalkers (after closing Crooners) for late night dancing. My suitcases too heavy to try Express Walk-Off. Although many did use this option. DISEMBARKATION: Again, a painless, easy process. My suitcases too heavy to try Express Walk-Off. Although many did use this option. We were called to disembark approx. 9:30am. Fast moving line for US Customs. Found our luggage without any problem. Being home by 11:30am was an absolute pleasure.

Publication Date: 10/30/06