Grand Princess Cruise Review by SnowDiamonds

Cruise Date: July 2013
Embarkation: San Francisco
Destination: Alaska
Cabin Category: EE
See More About: Grand Princess Cruise Reviews | Alaska Cruise Reviews | Princess Cruise Deals
Value-for-Money 5+

Ship Facts: Grand Princess Review (by Cruise Critic!) | Grand Princess Deck Plans
Grand Princess was lovely
Grand Princess is a fine standard Princess ship. I had been expecting something a little more "grand" because I remember all the fuss when she first sailed out of New York. But my first cruise with Princess was on Sapphire and I think she was a bit more grand. Nonetheless, Grand was wonderful and the crew was the best yet. Even Passenger Services desk crew were extremely friendly (they have not been too accommodating or friendly in my past experiences).

Cabin steward was fantastic, which is usual. But no towel animals :(

What happened to this? They had a demonstration while we were on board, but I'm wondering why, since we never got any. My last Carnival and NCL still do this, and it's just a daily delight! Once I had a mouse in my room all week long. He kept showing up in my coffe cup, in my bed, under my bed! So cute. That was NCL.

Food was very consistently delicious.

I love the new International Cafe and the pizza in the piazza they are putting on all the ships. I thought since you had to buy the coffee that you also paid extra for the pastries but no, they are included. That was nice. I don't have to run up to the buffet if I want a treat. They also had some nice cheeses in the evening, and donuts in the morning. Cute! Never saw donuts on a cruise before!

My friend who was with me said the wine prices were more expensive in the restaurant than in the wine bar, and she did not like the wine bar because there was no host in there. It was usually pretty empty. I liked the wine bar on the Golden because you could also order appetizers to pair with the wines.

I also love that the Pub Lunch has been continued, that was very popular and quite yummy. Only once my fish was overfried.

I like that you can walk all the way around the Promenade on this one, even though you have to climb steps.

Also, MUTS is great now that they have the built in pillow mats they put on the lounge chairs. However, we went to see the final movie of the evening, after dinner, and there were no attendants to pass out blankets. This happened several times, so it seems they are only there for the first showing and if you come to the later one, too bad. I just grabbed two that were laying on deck chairs, used. Yuck, but how bad could they be after one movie. Several people wanted fresh blankets and waited about 35 minutes before someone could get the door opened to get them. They just stood there in the chilly damp air waiting. Also, the popcorn was gone, but they had wrapped bags placed near the ice cream station. It was cold but still tasted pretty good.

I think the attendants should remain there until a half hour into the last movie, as should fresh, hot popcorn.

I also really wished the photography people would calm down. They don't have to snap a picture at every meal. It's just dinner! There are always photo stations near the restaurants for people to take a photo if they want one. It's disruptive and rude to interrupt meals to try to sell photos that few people want. It really upset one elderly gentleman who we were dining with one night. We had been having a nice, fun evening when we were interrupted. It pretty much ruined the flow and cut our time shorter than it would have been. The gentleman got upset and he and his wife left, the rest of us were sad for them, and it was awkward. Not the way you want to end what had been a lovely dinner with new friends.

Overall, a lovely ship and a fantastic cruise. Alaska weather was phenomenal so that was just an added bonus.

Publication Date: 07/29/13