Royal Princess Cruise Review by TheRabbit

Embarkation: Venice
Destination: Eastern Mediterranean
Cabin Category: AA
Cabin Number: C410
See More About: Royal Princess Cruise Reviews | Eastern Mediterranean Cruise Reviews | Princess Cruise Deals
Dining 5+
Public Rooms 5+

Royal Experience on the Royal Princess

My wife and I booked the 7 night Swiss land tour prior to joining the Royal princess. Though the days were very hectic on both the land and cruise portions of this trip, we were please with all the site we were able to see.

As for the ship:

Food, my wife thought this was the best dinning food she has ever had on a cruise. I felt it was as least equal or slightly better than any of the dinning experiences I have had both on and off princess. Tried Sabatini's and found it to all be fantastic. We were un able to get a reservation late in the cruise for the Crown Grill, but or dinner mates had dined there early in the cruise and felt it was outstanding. Also tried Alfredo's Pizzeria Though my wife found the Margarita pizza non-conventional, the Prosciutto based pizza was very good. Only used the buffet for breakfast and lunch. At both meals, we both thought the food was as good as any buffet spread we have come across while cruising.

Room, We normally book a mini-suite as we did on this trip. I did some studying of the room layouts and found which room had the forward balcony that jutted out. We were able to sit close to the rail and look down the forward length of the ship without having to lean over the rail. Recommend you do the research and do something similar if you are booking near the center of the ship.

As some others may have stated, room temperatures were not as cool as we would have wanted. I know Princess is working this issue hard and the problem was multi faceted after talking to builder warranty rep in the elevator. I would be interested in seeing what passengers say about this after a few more cruises.

Entertainment, What shows we did see were top notch, comedian were very funny and clean, the Princess Live concept must be a big hit as we were not able to get in if we arrived only a few minutes before. With numerous venues that open onto the Piazza, there was almost always some type of music being played in the evening audible on any floor in the open area.

Sanctuary, spa, pools, fitness center, With the busy schedule of ports nearly every day, I only was able to get up to the Retreat on the last evening after we left the port. I found the area to be very nice and wish we had spent more early evenings up there. As for fitness center, though we did not get there, some friends gave it high marks. Sanctuary, Spa and main pool area we did not use.

Other rooms (IE Library, Computer Center...) Found the library to be quite good. They had the latest books from several of my wife and my favorite authors. Internet was slow as usual on a ship and they were providing some level of connection for smart phones. Table mates were smokers and gave thumbs up to the Churchill's Lounge. Used several of the small lounges around the boat during the day for quiet areas to read. Found all of them to be very good.

Ports, We enjoyed all of them except Istanbul. Took a mix of Princess and on our own tours. Princess tours all had excellent guides. Won't go into value, we all know we can do them on our own for less. Just have to take on the risk of missing the boat or of the outside tour not meeting you. We also stopped in Toulon which is a new stop for Princess and is not in the CC list.

Loved: Ship's Horn and food

Hated: No stairs (other than emergency) in the middle above deck 7.

Publication Date: 07/29/13