Norwegian Breakaway Cruise Review by AllenGot: We can't wait to book again!!... with a different cruise line.

AllenGot
Member Since 2013

Cabin Not Rated
Family & Children 2.5

Compare Prices on Norwegian Breakaway Bermuda Cruises

We can't wait to book again!!... with a different cruise line.

Sail Date: July 2013
Destination: Bermuda
Embarkation: New York (Manhattan)

As regular cruisers this is was my first time sailing with NCL with my family and will be the last time too. The new Breakaway ship was highly over-rated and over-priced -- not to mention we had to pay up charges for almost everything on board which was just crazy.

To start, when booking we were told we would have a bath tub for our 1 year old daughter -- we got to the room an all we had was a large shower and double sink..but no tub as promised and the reason we paid for the upgrade. Guest services offered to move us to another room but was away from the rest of the group and by that time we were already unpacked and did not want to deal with a move. Luckily, my daughter was comfortable enough taking a shower.

The first night, we chose to dine at the Manhattan room, and all the video menus on-board showed the Surf and Turf special. We sat down and did not see the special on the menu..we were told they were not offering this anymore and the video team did not update More the menu board -- what BS! (this was the first night!). I was furious as the menus on board all said that was one of the selections - after showing the staff they finally comped us meals at Cagney's where we were able to have to promised meal. Steak was great the lobster tail had no flavor at all and I would have been upset if we did pay for that meal.

The food at the Spigel tent was sub-par and I would not even feed the steak to my dog -- and the coconut shrimp must have forgot the coconut. This was not a great dining experience at all -- and the premium seating was worse than standard seating...I love watching a show with someone's head in front of me.

The water slides were cool and so was the free-fall slides. However, a ship of this size should not have only two main pools -- this was crazy especially since one was 7 feet deep and everyone would just stay on the side of the pool. And, I was asked to get out of the pool multiple times during the day with my 8-year old son as I was told it was adult only when the sign clearly said with adult supervision. After being told this twice -- I just ignored the request from then on...I pay all this money and then you tell me I can't go in the pool with my kids -- I don't think so. The kid pool, sponge bob zone, was nice kiddie pool where I could sit with my daughter, however there were way too many much older kids in there splashing too much and really not making it easy to enjoy with a baby.

Almost every time we ate at a restaurant there was some issues -- if it had to do with our reservation, seating arrangements, or just the overall service, and we heard this complaint from other passengers we spoke with too. No one really stood out for service excellence or was overly nice -- most times it was always an issue -- but would be resolved at some point -- but there should be no issues at all ..and the staff should be more hospitable. And, charging me $12 dollars a day per person for cleaning my room is nuts!

If you are traveling with small children (under 3) -- NCL has nothing for you where other lines like Royal usually offer baby sitting services.

The guest services staff was clueless about many questions we asked and some of the on-board events were just a plain joke. Second City comedy we all got up an left the room -- it was horrible and the local community theater put on a better Rock of Ages show then the one we saw -- good this for strong drinks.

The best time we had was when we were off the ship and this is just a small list of the many issues we had while aboard the NCL Breakaway. I'm very disappointed in the service, staff and ship. As mentioned earlier we will not be booking another cruise with NCL again. Less

Read more Norwegian Breakaway cruise reviews >>