Celebrity Silhouette Cruise Review by johnherm: Magnificent Med and Croatia

Magnificent Med and Croatia

Sail Date: June 2013
Destination: Europe - Eastern Mediterranean
Embarkation: Venice

I must start by saying that we are both in our 70's and found this 13 night, 11 port cruise very exhausting. Nevertheless we had a wonderful time.

We flew from Johannesburg to Venice via Frankfort and apart fro a long flight was uneventful. We arrived at Venice airport, and as this was my first visit to Venice, we hired a private taxi to take us to our hotel, the Danieli. The motor launch was the ideal way to introduce us to Venice, ending at the hotel on the Grand Canal. We spent the day and the night in Venice thr following day again took a private taxi the Silhouette, this time with another couple to share the cost. Well worth it. Our embarkation went very smoothly and we were in our Aqua Class cabin by 2p.m

Sail away from Venice was the highlight of this port.

Our cabin was very comfortable although the design of storage space on the Equinox seemed to be better. The locker above the bed was very difficult for my wife to get to. In future I will always More try and book on the hump as the balcony is so much bigger. I feel my travel agent should have told me this ehen I made my booking.

We ate in all 3 Speciality restaurants where we received good service and food. Quisine went out of their way to make us feel at home and I must compliment the Maitre D on his professionalism and friendliness.

Blu restaurant was very ordinary and very noisy. We had one argument with the Maitre D and gave him our views. After that his attitude changed and we had reasonable service. We had one meal in the MDR and thought the food was not as good as on the Equinox.

We only attended 3 shows and all were good. We did not have time to see any more as we ate quite late and the shows had already started by the time we had finished eating.

We found this cruise too port intensive with only 1 sea day so we did not visit all the ports as we were too exhausted. We did private tours with other cruise critic members in Split, Kotor, Valetta and Catania. We wandered around on our own in Dubrovnik and Bari and relaxed on the other days.

Our disembarkation went very smoothly and our private van was waiting to take us into Rome, where we spent 2 days prior to flying back to Johannesburg

My main complaint re the cruise is to pay for a shuttle from the docking point into the various towns. Only once was there a free service into town (Salerno)

I would definitely cruise with Celebrity again but not on such a port intensive cruise. Less

Read more Celebrity Silhouette cruise reviews >>