Carnival Fascination Cruise Review by NJ Mr. E: Still a fun ship

Still a fun ship

Sail Date: July 2013
Destination: Bahamas
Embarkation: Jacksonville

All in all I had a great time on this ship. It is not a "young" ship, so certain aspects showed age, but overall, it was still a nice stay.
My trip: solo traveler, 31yo from USA, flights same day as embarkation/debarkation, Carnival shuttle service from/to airport, no pre-paid excursions.

Pros: Shuttle was at airport waiting and driver was very nice and answered questions other passengers were asking. Check-in went very quick and staff was nice. Onboard they did a really great job of entertaining me. The adult comedy shows were pretty funny and even though it was only two guys, they did entirely different sets each night. Room service came faster than expected even on peak hours. My room steward did a very nice job and even brought me extra towels when asked. He also brought me an extra bucket for ice when he saw that I chilling my water bottle in the small one. Bartenders/drink servers were very quick especially around the pool and remembered my drink (also because I tip More in cash) I really liked that a lot of the staff remembered my name. Again, may be because I tip, but it was an added enjoyment. That made me feel special. Food was tasty, not 5star, but tasty. Everything looked clean for the most part around the ship inside and out. Port of calls went smoothly. I wish we could have spent two days in Stirrup cay instead of only one.

Cons: The pool is way too small for that many people onboard. I understand I took a trip in the summer, but kids overwhelmed the pool. And forget about getting in a hot tub if you're an adult, it's not happening. Lines are a little long for eating at the buffets during the day and in the late hours, the pizza place takes even longer. My table in the MDR did not have very good service. All of the people at my table felt the same way. Our servers acted annoyed if we asked for more than one choice of food (a main reason I like cruising). At some point, our head waiter changed with the one serving the bread like he was demoted or something. Also, no one ever introduced themself or talked to us at the table. It was really the first time I have ever had a negative dining experience. My shower only had two settings, hot or scolding! I actually like taking cool showers, especially in the summer. Stateroom was a little outdated.

I had a good cruise. I would recommend this ship and for the price, I would take it again. Carnival does a swell job of making my money feel like it was well spent. Less

Read more Carnival Fascination cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Carnival Fascination Review >>

Cabin review: Carnival Fascination Interior Empress R5

Actually STIRRUP CAY. I couldn't find it on the list. If I had my way, we would have gone HERE for the two port days. It was beautiful there. I really enjoyed the beaches. Everything is walking distance and the place was great for photographs. Something there for everyone. Lunch was brought from the ship and was normal grilled food. Only negative, getting a drink of water was tough (lines to get from a cooler). Plenty of shady areas under the trees, so purchasing an umbrella isn't too necessary unless you are pulling your chair next to the water line. Bathrooms are located in good spots plus outdoor showers to rinse off sand. The same drink servers from the ship are walking around, so service was still good. The small market there is expensive and sells the same junk that every place has in the islands. Save your money.

Nassau is what Nassau is. I went to the Atlantis only because I was solo and had no need for the straw market or shopping. I would have rather gone to another hotel(been to Atlantis before) but wasn't paying for a taxi by myself to take me accross the island. Plus I don't think that is very safe for me to do.
Read 2646 Nassau Reviews