Carnival Inspiration Cruise Review by mandyh: Nice getaway!

mandyh
Member Since 2005

Compare Prices on Carnival Inspiration Mexican Riviera Cruises

Nice getaway!

Sail Date: July 2013
Destination: Mexican Riviera
Embarkation: Los Angeles

I actually enjoyed the cruise, but the destinations were a little lacking. My husband has never cruised before and I have gone once before. Reading some of the reviews, we were a little worried. We were there with a large dance competition(little kid dancers), so we were tripping over kids around the ship, but the adult activities were very good. Willie the cruise director was very high energy and fun, and his staff were very pleasant.

We went to some of the onboard trivia games, which were fun, although Eduardo seemed a little lost at times. We went to both the Latin(I think it was called Fiesta) and the Classic rock and roll(Shout?) evening dance shows. They were both a lot of fun, although they had some technical problems at first with the Latin show and had to restart. Once that was over the singers were great and the dancers were very good, even while the ship was swaying away.

The two comedians the had were ok, but nothing special. Jim Brick was good, and Bob More Biggerstaff(sp?) was just not that good. I don't know if he was having a bad night or what, but he wasn't funny.

We had the early dining option and were served by Nathaniel. He was great. He took care of us, even when we didn't know what we wanted. When we were unsure of choices for dinner or dessert, he definitely gave great recommendations. My husband, who Nathaniel called Mr. Bill(Oh noooooo! I don't think he knew the reference), had a birthday, and they were able to accommodate giving him a cake. Nathaniel cut the cake perfectly so that all at the table were served. The buffet food at the brasserie would be on par with a midrange Vegas buffet(think Luxor or Excalibur). The burger bar and the Mongolian BBQ were good, but always busy.

Our room was pretty good(my husband said he felt a little claustrophobic but he's 6'4 and a big fellow). We had portholes to see out and being on the Riviera deck, we tended to hear when we docked. It did make it easy to get out to the tender boats. The accommodations were clean, and the towel animals were very cute.

Overall, it was a good cruise, with average to poor ports. It is definitely a case of you get what you pay for. Less

Read more Carnival Inspiration cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Carnival Inspiration Review >>

Cabin review: Carnival Inspiration Interior Empress R29

Nice porthole room!

First stop was Catalina Island. We purchased an online scavenger hunt to see the island. It was a lot of fun to see the casino, the tile murals, and some of the easily missed spots on the island. It was neat seeing the steel bar from NYC to commemorate the 9/11 firefighters, as well as the machine gun station up in the park. It was a walking scavenger hunt that took us about 2 hours.

We then went to Ensenada, which was a little rough. It was a lot of people asking use to buy stuff and it would be difficult to know where to go(without a little help from Boston Alex-the ship fun shopper) We went for a message while there, which was great, but other than that, I felt a little underwhelmed with the ports, but the cruise was very good.

Read 249 Ensenada Reviews