Norwegian Breakaway Cruise Review by belle63

Norwegian Breakaway
Norwegian Breakaway
Member Name: belle63
Cruise Date: July 2013
Embarkation: New York (Manhattan)
Destination: Bermuda
Cabin Category: B1
Service Not Rated

July 14th Breakaway to Bermuda Cabin 11314
We were pleasantly surprised with our recent trip to Bermuda on the Breakaway. After reading many of the very critical reviews of this ship, This was our 4th cruise. I am 50 and my husband is 61. We was concerned that we made a poor choice. We was mistaken! Embarkation was quick. We arrived at the pier at 11 am and was on the ship by 11:30. As CAS members, we were able to check in with no wait but the regular line was not long at all.

The ship is lovely and tastefully decorated. The crew and staff were very friendly.Overall, the food was very good. Service in the restaurants was prompt and polite. We ate in Le bistro, Savor, Taste,O'Sheehans, Cagney's and the Buffet. We also ordered room service for breakfast every morning and it was always delivered during the time we specified. The gelato stand was open both times we visited. Hotdogs were available on deck 8 as well as at the pool.

We were in cabin 11314 which is an aft balcony. The cabin was of typical size 175 sq ft. The bed was comfortable. There was plenty of storage space. There are 2 large drawers under the couch as well as many shelves. Plenty of hangers in the closet. Bathroom was very spacious for a ship. Our balcony was awesome! At 105 sq ft, There was plenty of room for 2 lounge chairs, 2 regular chairs and a small table. We had no issues with noise for above or below and our neighbors were very nice (quiet too!) This was our first aft room and my husband and I both agree that it is well worth the extra $$$. The views are just amazing!

We never felt the 4000 plus people aboard except at the pool on sea days. By 10 am there was not a seat to be found. However before 10 am and after 4 pm the pool was not crowded at all. Spice2O is a nice, more quiet alternative.

We never had to wait long for an elevator, with the exception of disembarkation, but thats to be expected.

The casino is larger than any other casino I've been in on a ship.I was not pleased with the staff at the CAS desk. They were not very polite and considering the amount of $$ my husband and I spend in the casino I expect to be treated with a little more respect. There was an issue with our drink cards, which we were told would be in our cabins upon arrival. They were not there so we went to the desk to ask for them. I was told I needed to earn 1500 point to get one, however I already had well over 3000 points from our December cruise. CAS had informed me prior to our trip that these points were valid for this trip. After several minutes of conversation I asked for the casino manager, who said to charge the drinks while he looked into the situation. In the end, they gave us drink cards (only after earning 1500 points) and the casino manager took care of the charged drinks. HE was very nice but needs to instruct his staff on how to speak with customers. Arrogance is not the way to treat loyal CAS members, especially when I was polite and respectful toward them. I never saw a casino host, which is very unusual. The casino attendants act more like hosts than than attendants. Raphael should be a host. He was friendly and made sure the wait staff took care of us.

There are a lot of penny machines, a handful of quarter machines and a fair amount of dollar machines.

We are smokers so that was not a problem for us. There are no smoking sections in the casino but they are not clearly marked. We realized that if there are no ashtrays then it was a no smoking area.

Rock of Ages was good, I'm sure it's great for those who like that era music. Being a born and bred hippy, it did not appeal to me.

Cirque should not be missed. Excellent show! we sat in a booth in the back and I feel those seats were better than those on the floor.

Burn the Floor was good for the first 20 minutes then it became repetitive

Slam Allen was awesome. Don't miss it!

Bermuda was gorgeous! We used the public transportation system and it worked out great for us. Bermudans are very friendly people!

The breakaway is a beautiful ship, Bermuda is a gorgeous island, we will definitely sail her again!

Publication Date: 07/28/13