Norwegian Breakaway Cruise Review by dolphinlover12

Home > Reviews > Member Reviews > Norwegian Breakaway Cruise Review by dolphinlover12
Norwegian Breakaway
Norwegian Breakaway
Member Name: dolphinlover12
Cruise Date: July 2013
Embarkation: New York (Manhattan)
Destination: Bermuda
Cabin Category: MB
Entertainment 5+
        13-15 2.0

Wonderful week!
Overall my family and I were very pleased with this vacation.

I'm not a seasoned cruiser with only one other cruise under my belt and I have never gone with my kids. The whole family really enjoyed the trip.

We arrived at the Manhattan port around 11:30am. We had quite a long line ahead of us. I noticed the Lattitudes members line went much more quickly and heard quite a few grumbles from the passengers in my line. We were on board by 1pm and were immediately able to get into our room. The room was not exactly as pictured in NCL.com. We had a King size bed (not a queen) so yeah us! The bathroom did not have a tub but the shower was wonderful. The room was small but as expected. The balcony was also very small and the chairs were not very comfy. The room could have been cleaner but nothing I complained about. Just gave everything a quick wipe down with my antibacterial wipes and we were all set.

Our luggage arrived just before 4pm. No issues at all.

Food: Loved the Garden Cafe. Found the selection to be more than adequate. Main dining rooms had limited menues and not particularly appetizing meals. We opted for the buffet after the first couple tries with the dining rooms. We did not go to any of the specialty restaurants but heard wonderful things about them.

Deck: With 2 teenagers along there was plenty for them to do. They loved the on deck activities and the Entourage Lounge. I am an early riser so I had no trouble finding a deck chair but I can say that by 8:30am if you still hadn't claimed a deck chair, you are out of luck. I saw many unhappy faces on the deck trying to hunt down an open chair.

Balcony: I knew it would be small so it was as expected but I was most dissappointed the smokers. I wish Norwegian would designate a location on the ship for smokers only, and either not allow smoking on the balconies or only on certain balconies on one side of the ship. I would have loved to spend more time out there enjoying the fresh air if there was any to be found. I felt I paid for a perk that I couldn't use.

Service on the ship was adequate. Our cabin steward was very attentive. I felt some of the bars should have had more service people working during busier times. I'm not sure I agree with $12 per day per person. I felt there should be slightly lower amount for the kids since they rarely needed any service provided but overall I was not unhappy.

Excursions: Loved, loved loved Horseshoe Bay. Seriously this beach is not to be missed. Kids enjoyed the dolphin encounter but it seemed like there was not as much time in the water with the dolphins as advertised. Price was very high too. Shopping in Hamilton was great! Could have taken a pass on Snorkle park. The beach area was very small and completely overcrowed on the last day in Bermuda. It was also extremely rocky. I saw several kids who came out of the water with cuts from the coral. Most people stayed only a short time.

Overall we had an enjoyable trip and would definitely reccommend the Freestyle cruise experience for those people who aren't thrilled with getting dressed up every night.

My only complaints would be: more deck chairs, smoking on the balconies and please......please....please....move the shampoo and body wash dispenser to the back of the shower instead of right under the shower head. My whole family is sporting bruises on their elbows.

Publication Date: 07/28/13