Celebrity Equinox Cruise Review by Boater Burns

Home > Reviews > Member Reviews > Celebrity Equinox Cruise Review by Boater Burns
Celebrity Equinox
Celebrity Equinox
Member Name: Boater Burns
Cruise Date: July 2013
Embarkation: Barcelona
Destination: Western Mediterranean
Cabin Category: C2
See More About: Celebrity Equinox Cruise Reviews | Western Mediterranean Cruise Reviews | Celebrity Cruise Deals
Dining 5+

Equinox, July 4, 2013, Mediterranean
We just sailed the Equinox, Med cruise, July 4, 2013, 12 nights. My husband and I have taken a few cruises with different lines but certainly not as experienced as most. To sum up our experience with Celebrity (our first cruise with Celebrity).......WOW!!

We booked Concierge Class, C2, room 2102. Could not have picked a better cabin in our price range. Location, location, location! 15 steps from elevator to room! Now the cons of cabin, for the extra money, Concierge Class is not worth it. Do Not have priority off at ports. Do Not get fresh flowers every day (had a few when we boarded and the same ones when we left 12 days later.)Fresh fruit is three whole green apples and an occasional pear. We don't care for little green apples so they stayed on the coffee table. The evening 'snack, niceties, whatever they call them', were a total joke. If I were in charge of this area, I would be embarrassed to even have this leave my kitchen. I kid you not, it consisted of 4 olives, 4 stale Doritos, a tablespoon of mystery dip, and an inch cube sized piece of watermelon. Our cabin steward, Dalia, was nice! But did not remember our needs like ice and bottled water, an ice bucket for wine, or getting rid of the decorative bed pillows at night. (She just put them on the couch and they were in the way all night.)

We ate in the MDR every night we were on board. We had chosen anytime dining. We had the same table and wait staff every meal. Our waiter Jotus, and assistant Josep were wonderful. So attentive! Jotus made sure we had brown bread every night ( we loved this bread but it was not always offered), The second we sat down, Josep was filling our water glasses with our favorite bottled water! My husband ordered an entre one night, Jotus brought him that but also another entre he knew T would like better and He was right! ANY special request was provided! The food was wonderful. The best I have ever had on a cruise! We were told by a couple who did the speciality every night, they said the food was really good but they preferred the MDR!

Excursions, were do I begin. Second tour we took was to Capri, lunch in s Sarento, and Pompeii. Celebrity called all tours from #1- 8. with 20 to 25 per group, you can do the math? we had a mile walk to the jet boat heading to the Isle of Capri. When we get there, ALL groups get off. We are herded to two turn stiles to give tickets for the cable car up to town. Almost two hundred tourists trying to get through two little gates. AND locals are trying to drive through our mass. Finally get up to town. Beautiful! Just to think a few years ago, you might have seen Luchiano Paveroti (sp) outside a cafe sipping an expresso! When this trip was marked 'strenuous' it was an understatement. 'Must be competitive with mountain goats', would be a better description! By the way, this is the last time we see our tour guide. i think she was a mountain goat! Beautiful island, though! Time to leave so our mass is lead by our tour guide to the dock to get on jet boat, another short half mile to dock, which is about 20 ft wide. Get there, no boat! What!!!?? Now patient men were using the f bomb to our guide and she just smile and said stand in the shade! What shade!! Picture almost 200, hot, tired, frustrated, stinky tourists trying to not get pushed Into the water. Finally, boat arrives......with 500 tourists with luggage to spend the weekend on Capris. WHAT!!! What kind of crazy person organized this chaos of a tour?? Probably the mountain goat from hell. We get to Sorento. And, of course, after jet boat ride, we are crammed in buses that have to park a mile or so from resterGet there to enjoy a 'lunch at a 5 star resteraunt. We get a very tasty pasta appetizer, then came the entre......pressed canned chicken/turkey, green peas, and something that looked like potatoes but wasn't. Ate my peas. Our goat now takes us to souvenir shop at a preselected store of overpriced trinkets. Picture, our crowd crammed onto a sidewalk trying not to get lost from goat. Yep, next thing I know is wonderful people in our group picking me up. Goat comes back and asks if I need medical attention? No blood, can stand and walk, so NO to medical care. Sore as heck, bummed knee, think I bruised a rib, and a shiner that will last months! The biggest pain was my pride! People in our group were so nice. A special big hug to you all!!

Back to bus and on to Pompeii. Once there, we go into a cameo factory! Beautiful pieces of art! Then the 'short stroll' to entrance, just short of a mile! I just could not keep up with goat, so slowed down and did my own thing....leisurely walking and taking pictures! Got back to bus pick up point before group and walked through vendorville. Talk about hard salesmen, it became really a little scary! But, God Bless these folks, they are starving and only job is selling trinkets, so bought much more than needed! Right across street from vendors is 'entrance and exit to Pompeii'. WHAT? Now I know goat is a sadist! Bus comes and home to our ship! YAHOO!!

Be careful choosing excursions! When it says 'strenuous' it means able to walk a 5k under 20 minutes!

Celebrity Equinox is a beautiful ship full of caring staff! Will definitely sail her again! (But will do more research on excursions!

Publication Date: 07/28/13