Thomson Celebration Cruise Review by solotraveller

Home > Reviews > Member Reviews > Thomson Celebration Cruise Review by solotraveller
Thomson Celebration
Thomson Celebration
Member Name: solotraveller
Cruise Date: July 2013
Embarkation: other
Destination: Eastern Mediterranean
See More About: Thomson Celebration Cruise Reviews | Eastern Mediterranean Cruise Reviews | Thomson Cruises Cruise Deals
Public Rooms 5+

Ship Facts: Thomson Celebration Review (by Cruise Critic!) | Thomson Celebration Deck Plans
Not much to celebrate really Thomson
having taken 11 cruises before with Thomson I opted this year for the Crimean discovery and Ancient Wonders cruises that departed from marmaris, Turkey.

I travel alone so like Thomson as there are always solo travellers get to gethers and are so friendly.

We left port 2 hours late due to a flight arriving late - this impacted the whole cruise and we only had 5 hours in Sevestapol, which I know for many was the main reason for doing that cruise [ me included] I went on a rushed excursion that although informative was rushed and fell well below my Thomson expectations.

Tendering at Nessebar was a farce and many passengers only had an hour in port.

All other ports were nice, Istanbul was my favourite and very easy to do alone. due to high winds we were unable to tender into lesbos which was a shame as we ended up in some little Turkish town with nothing more than bar after bar.

apart from the flat screen TV and kettle very little has changed in the cabins, although it was nice that single cabins now have a queen size bed instead of 2 singles.

I was disappointed with the service on-board the ship, you could sit for 10 mins or more waiting for a barman to come and ask you if you wanted a drink, and then waiting for the drink was almost as long! in the heat this really wasn't good enough. they have taken away the free water that you could help yourself too in the Lido and now you have to ask a waiter for water which again could be a long wait especially after a long day on an excursion.

I was on the AI package and now all the soft drinks are served by the glass rather than by the can [ you can pay extra for a can which I didn't as Thomson have enough off me!], but the coke still comes from a can at the bar but with all the ice they put in only half the can is used and then the unlucky next person gets half a can of flat coke. warm , flat coke isn't nice on a red hot day. this is just Thomson penny pinching again and they really need to re-think their policy.

I ate a few times in the meridian restaurant but after waiting nearly 2 hrs for my main course one night I preferred the Lido. the dinner service and the bar service were painfully slow. I know that people sat in the same place every night and had the same waiter may think different but if you didn't do the same every night at the same time it really was pot luck on service which isn't good enough.

I always rave about Thomson but I do feel really let down on the celebration the food was not as good as other Thomson ships and everything was fried! there really only are so many fried potatoes you can eat in 2 weeks. just some nice new potatoes would have been great. I spend 3 weeks on the Spirit last Summer and had the time of my life, the ship, staff and the service was great. The Celebration was a total let down and don't think I would book on there again. As much as I love the shows, even they were just the same shows rolled in to one every night and as for fairground attraction.......dire"!!

sorry Thomson but like others I may just be looking elsewhere for my cruises from now on

Publication Date: 07/28/13
More Thomson Celebration Cruise Reviews

Read the previous Thomson Celebration review Read the next Thomson Celebration review

More Eastern Mediterranean Cruise Reviews