Norwegian Breakaway Cruise Review by ccsousa

Norwegian Breakaway
Norwegian Breakaway
Member Name: ccsousa
Cruise Date: July 2013
Embarkation: New York (Manhattan)
Destination: Bermuda
        10-12 2.0

Large Ship, Crowded (4th of July week)

Small pools, not enough chairs. Families would save chairs with towels at 6:00 am. Staff would pull them off.

The halls were constantly crowed. You were constantly weaving in and out to get around.

My balcony room was smaller than other ships I had been on before. My worst experience was mine and my sister's rooms on deck 9. Rooms 9441 and 9152. Fat Cats nightclub was a ways down on deck 8, however, between 10:00pm - 12:00am 9441's floor would vibrate and you felt like the club was right under your room. You could hear the words of the songs and drums. My balcony room (9441) was 6 feet away and could hear the music, but not as bad at my sister's inside room with her husband with two kids. I'm a light sleeper so, it was not acceptable to me. Besides, my husband and I are asleep in our room before 10:00 pm. We complained and, fortunately, I was given another room very quite room on deck 9 and she moved into mine, even though we were initially told the ship was completely "sold out". I am forever grateful to Norwegian for that. My sister now had a balcony room. She noticed that after the 2nd night, there was no more late night music. It was scheduled to play at the same time for seven nights. A high-level staff member (white ships uniform,skirt/blouse) was put into room 9441 after my sister moved out. She must have decided that the loud music was unacceptable and took action.

Food was just ok. I don't believe in paying extra for specialty restaurants. I found a few things to eat that were ok. They had one lobster tail night. You could get all you wanted. Too salty for my taste. The buffet was so crowed it was hard to find a table. The main dinning room was too noisy and slow service. So, we ate our meal at the Savoy and Taste. Very nice, small and great service and the same food.

There were other good points though. The pool area was so much fun as well as ALL onboard outside activities. The children's 10-12 year old program was a great hit with my nephews. They were there every night after dinner.

Fitness center is too small for the number of guests. Had to go back three times for a machine. Finally gave up exercise for the week. (That wasn't very hard for me to do)

I have been on 9 other cruises and this was the only one that was very stressful. I have been on the Norwegian Boston/Bermuda cruise twice, and even though it didn't have any bells and whistles, it was a much better experience. I would not recommend it if you are looking for a relaxing time. Great for families with kids if you like crowds and noise. It's a kids ship, and they get all excited. My nephews (11 yrs old) were not allowed in the adult pool or hot tubs. They were a little put off by that. The year before, we took them on a Disney Cruise and they had access to all the pools. That was during April vacation and it was a wonderful ship, full but you never felt crowded. Tons of kids, but it was much more relaxing for the adults. Go figure!

Publication Date: 07/23/13