Marco Polo Cruise Review by gus of the sea

Home > Reviews > Member Reviews > Marco Polo Cruise Review by gus of the sea
Marco Polo
Marco Polo
Member Name: gus of the sea
Cruise Date: May 2013
Embarkation: other
Destination: Baltic & Northern Europe
Cabin Category: 3
See More About: Marco Polo Cruise Reviews | Baltic & Northern Europe Cruise Reviews | Cruise & Maritime Voyages Cruise Deals

Ship Facts: Marco Polo Review (by Cruise Critic!) | Marco Polo Deck Plans
the b&b of the cruise line
First impression was positive.The parking and embarkation was seamless with a rapid bag to cabin delivery.

After that it was all downhill.We were travelling with my partners elderly mother who was unable to operate the safe.When my partner asked the cabin attendant for some assistance she was told in no uncertain terms that the safe was okay before we turned up.We explained we only needed some help and not a row.

We soon learnt that this aggressive and unhelpfull attitude was peculiar to most of the staff.

A clue to the lack of service is that a cup of tea is not available after 10pm unless you want to buy an appalling cup of clear liquid at the bar.

The ship was suffering from one of it's bouts of Nora Virus but although passengers were restricted to having all food served at the counters by staff. The crew by contrast were immune to the disease as they gaily massaged each others neck or played catch with the butter whilst their customers meekly queued to be served at the same time watching a dirty boiler suited engineer use the restaurant as a short cut ignoring the use of the obligatory hand

cleanser.

Staff training is at a minimum including English lessons.I asked for a Pernod and was asked if I wanted a pint,my partner asked for a cider but was told they don't do cider.When she saw pointed out Strongbow on the menu she was told that it was a beer as it was under the heading of beer.

I witnessed an irate passenger in the show lounge tell two senior staff members to be quite as he was trying to show while they propped up the bar trying to chat up a waitress.

On one occasion I foolishly challenged an entertainer who in his haste to tidy up after a show had pushed my partner and her mother out of his way only to be told I was wrong.Rather than get beaten up I backed down.

This is only a small sample of my observations but sufficed to say in 16 cruises this is the first time I did not give any tips except to our table waitress who was not very good but unlike most of the rest she did try.

Their is no doubt in my mind that this is the worst ship I have been on with poor food poor entertainment and atrocious staff.

Publication Date: 07/28/13
Read the Baltic & Northern Europe ports review by gus of the sea
More Marco Polo Cruise Reviews

Read the previous Marco Polo review Read the next Marco Polo review

More Cruise & Maritime Voyages Reviews
TRULY MAGNIFICENT
The arctic
Wouldn't cruise with them again

More Baltic & Northern Europe Cruise Reviews