Norwegian Breakaway Cruise Review by 1billionserved: Breakaway is a WINNER!

1billionserved
Member Since 2013

Compare Prices on Norwegian Breakaway Bermuda Cruises

Breakaway is a WINNER!

Sail Date: July 2013
Destination: Bermuda
Embarkation: New York (Manhattan)

I just got back from a 7 day cruise on the NCL Breakaway. What a beautiful ship. I sailed on NCL Jewel twice before, and the Breakaway is hands down the
nicest ship I could ever hope for. Unlike the Jewel, the colors used in the decor were elegant and tasteful. The Manhattan Room, was my favorite restaurant decor. I felt like I was in an old 40's movie, and Fred Astaire and Ginger Rogers were going to dance across the dance floor. The bands that played in the Manhattan Room were excellent, talented musicians.
Nightly I went to Shakers to see Anika play the piano. She also was very talented. She played a wide variety of music, and almost nightly some of the cast of the theater shows would stop by and join her in a song. I spent a lot of time outside Maltings on the Boardwalk. This cruise was during a heatwave, and outside was usually very hot, but if you sit at the table right outside the
door at Maltings, you get a blast of cool Air Conditioned air, every More time the door opens.
As for the Boardwalk....what a wonderful idea. You get to walk the outside
ring of the ship, and you can see all the people eating outside, or having drinks outside....it's a very festive atmosphere.
The food everywhere was outstanding, but you must try Le Bistro...the food there was outstanding. We went there the first night, because there were very long waits at all the free restaurants....(I would recommend a specialty restaurant the first night because of these waits, and you can book these ahead of your cruise date).
The shows were all amazing, except for Dysfunctiona Family by Second City. This show included lunch (we were unaware of this, and ate before we went). The show inself was AWFUL. Nobody at our table enjoyed it, and we all talked about getting up and walking out, but didn't want to be rude.
The Cirque Jungle Fantasy was the most entertaining, and I'm still baffled at how the actors did all those INSTANT costume changes onstage, right in front of us, and you couldn't tell how they did them. They can be very proud of this production.
I think I left claw marks when I left the ship, because I wanted to stay. But before we left, we took the opportunity to tour the ship and see many of the rooms on the ship on our and other decks. The AFT balconies were large and spacious, but all the others, including the front of the ship were very very small. They all had two chairs facing each other with a small table in between. It looks as if your knees would touch the other occupants knees if you tried to sit on the balcony...Our Aft balcony was about 8 feet wide by 14 feet long....it was very spacious...Our traveling companions who booked the same "SF" grade room had a balcony that was about 12 by 14 feet. I think they got the extra room because of some beams or construction between rooms, left them with an extra four feet....their room number was 12308. Our steward was nice and unlocked the door betweeen our balconies. Others on the deck saw this
and had theirs unlocked too.
All the staff was exceptionally nice, and even joined us for dinner and drinks when they weren't working. That was a nice touch and made us feel like family. Less

Read more Norwegian Breakaway cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Norwegian Breakaway Review >>

Cabin review: Norwegian Breakaway 12310

After most passengers had left the ship, the stewards leave all the doors open to clean the rooms, and we went on a tour of the rooms. Our cabin was about the same as most others, but we had an AFT balcony, which was much more spacious than the others on the ship.