Norwegian Breakaway Cruise Review by LItravelmaiden4: NCL Breakaway - Bermuda

Compare Prices on Norwegian Breakaway Bermuda Cruises

NCL Breakaway - Bermuda

Sail Date: July 2013
Destination: Bermuda
Embarkation: New York (Manhattan)

Overall this was a excellent first cruise for my family. As avid travelers & a top contributor to Trip Advisor, I would recommend NCL with a few exceptions. The specific exceptions that my family experienced were as follows: 1) Photography sales staff were pushy & "moved on" very quickly. Photographers were really good though. 8x10 portraits $19.95 each, 5x7 ship photos $12.95, no packages!! 2) Pool & lack of loungers - The adult pool was a mob scene most of the time. The were very few loungers and guests put towels down on them about 5:30am. I went down at 6am and only towels were on the chairs, no guests were seen! And for hours! All chairs on both decks were taken by 8am! Best place to set up is getting chairs on Deck 16 along the running track.3) The decks near the pools were always wet and very slippery. We saw many people fall! 4) Kids Club - My daughter is 12. She felt that they were treated like babies and felt that a separate location she be for her age group. Middle school More is aged 11, 12 & 13... age grouping should be aligned with how schools do it. She only attended once. 5) Game room - Outrageously priced especially if kids are using "piggy bank $". We had to cut our kids card off after the 2nd day. You could only use your card, no cash! They spent over $100 in less than 2 days. Plus, the tickets could not be used in the gift shop.There was no way for the kids to see what they spent. A Video Arcade card should be able to be purchased for certain amounts or an unlimited card for an amount. We also asked to put a dollar limit on our kids cards and we were told it could only be opened or closed, we could not set a limit.6) My daughter, 12 went for the teen spa night..... she thought it was horrible ($99+ tip). She has had treatments before and did not feel that the services were up to par. She said the attendants were very nice but came back disappointed. Things we loved: 1)the iConceirge app. (download before you leave!!) is awesome for tracking your bill and activities, although a little confusing at times. 2)For $7.95 each phone in your cabin can have an on-ship phone & texting plan. Most of the time it worked. You can call or text people in your party to find out where they are, etc. IT was unlimited. Especially helpful locating the kids!! Bring those smart phones.... 3) Our room 9800 and our stewart Marcelo was outstanding!! 4) Spa was wonderful for my husband & I. We did the week spa pass and I did a massage. We enjoyed it all. Noise from the gym upstairs disturbed my treatment but the spa manager took care of me and gave me a complimentary 1/2 hr treatment. Get treatments for good prices on port days. 5) The entertainment was fantastic! We wish we could have seen Rock of Ages again. Get there 30-45 mins before show for best seats in the house. Due to the boat rocking, we did not get to see the entire show of Le Circus dinner show, but what we did see was great! The cruise did reimburse us for 1/2 of the ticket cost which was very nice. Maybe see earlier in week. We saw Sat. night. Fat Cats we could not get enough of. We went almost every night!!! They are awesome and so entertaining!
We had a great time, we would recommend the ship. I would try NCL again but it was not outstanding enough to say I will only cruise NCL. No one even asked us or offered us to see the Haven (especially since we paid for the exclusive daily spa passes, we would have loved to see the Haven section & you would think this was a missed opportunity for passengers that are looking for the "exclusives"). Less

Read more Norwegian Breakaway cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Norwegian Breakaway Review >>

Cabin review: Norwegian Breakaway 9800

9800 - bathroom great size. Room nice size. Closet was nice size. Balcony was on the small side but good for two people to play cards. Great view of Statue of Liberty! Some music can be heard from Fat Cats Blues Club in the evenings but we didn't mind. The white "awning" from the Waterfront was directly below. Did not really obstruct view. Close to Forward elevators. Good location.

This has been our 4th time to Bermuda. We were focusing primarily on the ship verses the port. We love Bermuda. Hamilton was great as usual. However, ship staff were not able to tell us hours of the Harbor Night on Front Street so we missed it as we went into town too early and did not want to stay. It starts at 6pm. Horseshoe Bay was awesome! Take the bus ride for $8 round trip for adults and $5 for kids under 16. The shore excursion is expensive so we did this on our own! We have been to King's Wharf when other ships were at port and they planned an outdoor craft fair and show for cruise guests on the Thursday night. NCL did not do this. Best shopping in Hamilton.