Westerdam Cruise Review by AggieMom0610

Cruise Date: July 2013
Embarkation: Seattle
Destination: Alaska
Cabin Category: VA
See More About: Westerdam Cruise Reviews | Alaska Cruise Reviews | Holland America Cruise Deals
Public Rooms 5+

Ship Facts: Westerdam Review (by Cruise Critic!) | Westerdam Deck Plans
Mixed feelings
I traveled with my 20-something daughter on her first trip to Alaska. Both of us have been on previous cruises. Check-in at the port was smooth. We had our boarding information and passports ready. We arrived just before noon, ate lunch on the Lido deck and proceeded to find our bags already inside our cabin the first time we arrived there.

The ship is pretty, very clean and well laid out. I was disappointed in the condition of our stateroom however. Behind that closed door, we found a different situation than I had seen in the public areas. The Rubbermaid bath mat had quite a bit of black mold on it, as did the lining of the drapes at the sliding glass doors to the veranda. The shower curtain liner kept falling from the hooks. The ice bucket had quite a bit of rust on the outside. The loveseat was worn, not unlike a college apartment piece of furniture. The towel bathmat was ragged. I simply felt the public areas were more important to HAL than the private areas.

Neither my daughter or I were very impressed with the food. I ate lots of salads from the Lido salad bar at lunch. The Italian station had some good choices. My dessert consisted of ice cream because I couldn't find any of the baked goods that were tasty.

Ports of call: We have loved the small Alaska towns in the past. Unfortunately, these are becoming another shopping mecca for cruise ship diamond stores. I'd prefer the local shops, and that is where I headed to spend my money. Overall, we enjoyed the trip. I just wished for better quality from HAL.

Publication Date: 07/27/13