AmaCello Cruise Review by AnotherShawnee: River Cruising is FABULOUS

River Cruising is FABULOUS

Sail Date: July 2013
Destination: Europe - River Cruise
Embarkation: Other

My sister and I decided to take a river cruise together. I contacted several different cruise lines for information. AMA Waterways was our choice, and I cannot say enough about them. They are wonderful, only have one complaint about the boat and that would be the double docking. We had a French balcony third floor room and it was annoying when we docked on the side of another boat and had to look into another traveler's stateroom one evening (closed the curtains so didn't really look in) and then on another night with a different boat we had just a view of the side of their boat. While this was, as I say annoying, it wasn't enough to ruin anything. I can only guess that this is done due to lack of enough docking space. All in all, with the service and the care they do take in accommodating their passengers, this is truly a top notch company.

We booked four days in Switzerland (2 in Zurich and 2 in Lucerne) prior to boarding the AMA Cello in Basel. The Zurich More Continental Hotel was very nice, would have been excellent had it only been a little closer to midtown. But really no complaints, it was within walking distance. The City of Zurich is beautiful, interesting and busy. Loved it for the extensive transportation system they have.
Lucerne was my favorite city of all we visited. It is beautiful and a little more quaint than Zurich. The views are beautiful, the people a bit less rushed. We stayed at the Radisson Blu Hotel, which wasn't really up to par in the opinion of several I spoke to who were on the tour. The beds were uncomfortable and the room we had was like a college dormitory. However, the restaurant was top notch. The food was excellent and the presentation superb. I would hope that if AMA gets enough complaints about the hotel they will reconsider using it and finding something more in line with the one in Zurich.
Now the tours, we took every tour available to us. All but two were included. We took both optional tours and are extremely happy we did. They are pricy but well worth it in my opinion.
I, as I said, was extremely happy with the tour, it exceeded my expectations. The food on the ship was excellent, the entertainment was all right, not to our tastes but we didn't mind we found other things to do. The cabin was clean and comfortable. The service could not be better.
Here is the best part of the entire trip: the other passengers. I was concerned about traveling with my sister as I thought we would be among only couples. But, not so. There were Mothers and daughters, friends, couples, singles traveling too. We made some dear friends on the trip. There were 8 of us who ended up spending our time together, two couples, a gal traveling alone, another who was traveling with her stepmother and my sister and me. What a diverse group, yet strong bonds developed between us and I anticipate that we will keep in touch well after this trip is a distant memory. We have even decided to plan another trip together.
All I can say is if anyone says they didn't have a great time, it was their own fault because AMA Waterways definitely did all they could to insure that everyone had a good time.
I recommend AMA Waterways as the way to travel. Smaller boat, excellent service and their staff is the absolute best. Less

Read more AmaCello cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's AmaCello Review >>

Cabin review: AmaCello 326

Had a French balcony, room was in a quiet location, well appointed and although a bit tight was fine. The beds were comfortable and the room was kept immaculate by the cabin staff.