Carnival Sunshine Cruise Review by Animal-374: Great Cruise port Itinerary - Ship & crew is work in progress

Animal-374
Member Since 2010

Cabin Not Rated

Compare Prices on Carnival Sunshine Europe - Western Mediterranean Cruises

Great Cruise port Itinerary - Ship & crew is work in progress

Sail Date: June 2013
Destination: Europe - Western Mediterranean
Embarkation: Barcelona

Had a good time on the cruise, however the ship had maintenance issues was pretty much like a low rate hotel with new employees. If you are going for the ports you won’t be disappointed if the ship is your destination you should pass. We went on June 28 and I believe this was the 6th sailing of the ship since it was remodeled. This was my wife’s and families 7th cruise.

Embankment went well except the computers where done so all the work I did on line was wasted and had to do it all over again at check in.

All in all the food was as good or better on the buffet and restaurants with the exception of the dining room. A few nights the food was decent but more often the food was not even edible. We had to leave early to go back to the buffet. Our waiter who was very good was sympathetic to the bad food. The quality of the steak when available was better then I remember with past cruises although twice a rare steak was served well done and it took so long for More a replacement we again had to leave the dining room. I noticed many meals being picked up at the tables with very little eaten, really a waste of food. I would recommend the Fahrenheit steak house you pay extra to eat. It was very good; they must have the experienced cooks working in the pay restaurants.

We did not have a cabin steward show up until the 2nd day of the cruise after I called for 2 days of dirty towels and sheets. I was never told why but I assume it was a new crew assignment issue. After that the cabin was usually on serviced once at night, which is not normal. My observation was the ship was short staffed. The crew was new and many where not happy. First time over in 7 cruises where a bartender was rude to me. Don’t worry I did not drink much as they ran out of beer!

The maintenance issues that affected us on the ship was the air in the cabin worked intermittingly. Usually it was over 80 degrees. Multiple complaints both nothing was ever done. The shower in the room was broken and would only put out scolding hot water. If was finally fixed the 8th day of the cruise. I found that leaving maintenance request with the maintenance department on the phone cabin yielded no results. Finally, got the shower fixed the 8th day by going the purser’s desk. The phone in the room was also programmed wrong so if you hit maintenance you might get the restaurant. The TV did not work, at the end of the cruise we found out it was not programmed correctly. Really these are not normal thing for a cruise cabin on carnival; my suspicion is the room was actually sabotaged by disgruntled carnival employees. I saw two ex-crew members getting off at various ports ant it was obvious they had been fired.

The sunshine does not serve draft beer at most bars like other carnival ships I had been on. The bars the served the draft beers never could get service and so you basically went and bought your own beer and served yourselves. In the sports bar next to the casino waited for over 30 minutes even looking at the bartender before I figured this out. Really, should post signs like this bar is self service. The other disappointment was they ran out Red Frog Beer and only had one other draft beer available which was Newcastle (ugh). Tried the self service beer tap in the buffet area and end up with 6 ounces of beer and 6 ounces of foam. There was something wrong with the keg and not one seemed to know how to fix it. Most of the cruise they just took the glasses away so the self served beer could not be used.

Disembarkment was really bad. We scheduled a late flight to do a sightseeing tour in Barcelona through the boat at the last minute carnival canceled the tour and we were set off with our luggage on the dock with no plan and told to find our own way. We were told on the boat that you could rent lockers for your luggage at the port and their would be tour operators at the port. Turned out this was not true. We ended up waiting on a bus for two hours in the hot sun with no coverage. My parents almost fainted. Once we got away from the terminal we were able to find a legitimate tour operator but no thanks to carnival. They left us high and dry in the hot sun.

Believe it or not I still enjoyed the cruise, just not a good ship and new crew. This is not the ship if you are expecting the ship to be the destination. Less

Read more Carnival Sunshine cruise reviews >>