“Breakaway is a nice ship, but crowded”
Cruise review of Norwegian Breakaway

Comunc8 Norwegian Breakaway 4 Breakaway is a nice ship, but crowded
Comunc8
Member Since 2013
No Helpful Votes
Overall Member Rating

The Breakaway is a beautiful new ship. I traveled with my sister and brother-in-law and my parents to celebrate their 50th wedding anniversary. My parents have cruised a great deal, and so have my sister and brother-in-law. For all of us, this was the largest ship we have ever been on. Since the ship is still quite new, there was nearly a sell-out for the cruise. This ship caters to families with children in many respects, and because we cruised in the summer, there were MANY children on board.

The dining rooms are loud on this ship--especially with so many children. Nonetheless, the food is quite good and the service was nicely done. We were unable to secure reservations for the time we wanted in the specialty restaurants, so all of our meals were in the three dining rooms on board. We were never disappointed.

The entertainment on the ship was varied. The dance show was excellent, as was the Cirque Dreams dinner show! Amazing costuming and acrobatics right in front of the table! The Rock of Ages Show was a bit too risque for my tastes (and many others). Several guests got up and left the show during the performance we attended. The piano music in the Mixx Bar and Shakers Bar were wonderful for simply lounging with a beverage and socializing before dinner or after a show. The Dueling Pianos Show is well worth it, and Second City was a riot.

One thing I especially liked about this cruise was the single rooms that are available without a single upcharge. As a single person, I greatly appreciated this feature.

The communication about basic logistics for this cruise is a bit difficult. We never did locate a place where we could purchase toothpaste, dramamine, etc. Apparently there is a location for these services, but it was not readily apparent. The process for picking up alcohol from duty free before disembarkation was not quite clear. The captain does not make any daily announcements on the ship about the trip or ETAs or anything of that sort. We sort of missed that feature. In many ways, I felt very disconnected from the process of the cruise.

I would sail on this ship again and I would use NCL in the future. However, I will be selective about the time of year I travel so that as a person with no children, I am not in a place that is so heavily focused on and centered around families. If you have a family, then this is a great cruise and ship for you.

Norwegian Breakaway Cruises to Bermuda
  • Shore Excursions
  • Value for Money

Cabin review:

11511
I had a single cabin in the Singles Lounge area on Deck 11. The room was "hip" in styling and provided an amazing amount of storage. There is a double bed and two closet spaces. The beds are incredibly comfortable. The shower is a bit small, but not overly inconvenient. I appreciated the ability to have my own room without paying the single supplement that is so often the only option. The only thing about these rooms is that they are all interior state rooms with no windows. That was a bit of a bummer. But I would definitely do it again. The value for the dollar was more than worth it!
Published 07/25/13
No Helpful Votes
Read Cruise Critic’s Norwegian Breakaway Review
Norwegian Breakaway Cruises to Bermuda
Share feedback
Thank you!  Cruise Critic values your feedback.
How can we improve this page?