Norwegian Breakaway Cruise Review by sjbdtz: Glad I didn't rely only on the reviews

sjbdtz
Member Since 2005
6,357 Posts

Compare Prices on Norwegian Breakaway Bermuda Cruises

Glad I didn't rely only on the reviews

Sail Date: July 2013
Destination: Bermuda
Embarkation: New York (Manhattan)

Long-time NCL fan, was a little concerned about Breakaway because several posters on the Boards said that the NCL 'feeling' was different on Breakaway (BA).

Delighted to share that on July 7th, this was not the case at all. Instead, we were warmly welcomed back as family again. As the new Crew Song goes "You're a Norwegian Now".

The ship is beautiful, although I think they went a little too far in trying to add 'water-view' spaces to the ship. The result is that the interior feels too compacted. If they did 1/2 the outdoor spaces, and enlarged every interior space a little, the ship would feel more spacious. I realize that this water-view approach is a direct response to criticism of the EPIC, which I've sailed 3 times so far.

Having spent a week on Breakaway however, I think EPIC was the better ship, specifically because of the flow.

The cirque show (which is NOT Cirque du Soleil - which is a company's name), was better than EPIC, the costume More changes are spectacular.

Saw officers throughout the ship, chatting, inquiring, and I was told - tweaking schedules of shows, operating hours for restaurants, etc. in order to better orchestrate the passenger flow. So while it occasionally felt as though many people were trying to do the same thing at the same time, this is apparently under review and being adjusted.

Quick note for people who complain about deck chairs on the pool deck.... there's also an upper deck with deck chairs which went mostly unused.

Overall, it was an excellent cruise. Very minor hiccups, but we're human....and don't expect perfection in others, either. Less

Read more Norwegian Breakaway cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Norwegian Breakaway Review >>

Cabin review: Norwegian Breakaway 14162

Suite provides access to the Spa Thermal Suite, which was very nice, and not crazy-busy.Cabin itself featured dual sinks, spa shower with 6 jets, and balcony with 2 chairs. The balconies are a little small, but large enough to have a coffee, or to lean over the railing & contemplate how luck we are to be able to cruise. :)