Independence of the Seas Cruise Review by kelfords: OVER-CROWDED FLOATING SHOPPING MALL

kelfords
Member Since 2013

Compare Prices on Independence of the Seas Europe - Western Mediterranean Cruises

OVER-CROWDED FLOATING SHOPPING MALL

Sail Date: July 2013
Destination: Europe - Western Mediterranean
Embarkation: Southampton

Well the ship was certainly impressive but the spoils of luxury commensurate with Cunard Queens Grill were sadly lacking. I apologise to those below decks for sounding snobbish but we have only cruised on the top deck and paid the price for the trimmings! Royal Carribbean need to look at what they offer premium passengers which really amounted to nothing more than a fancy cabin! No complimentary free drinks and stocked mini bar, no butler just a cleaner, who was very good at cleaning. A concierge lounge with card access that was closed more than open and when it did serve drinks for 4 hours each evening IT WAS PACKED so people left.A good way to save money but a big deterrent for repeat business. The only drinks during the day available tea and coffee! Worse still on sea days the reserved section of the pool deck for GOLD was like a tin of sardines, 30 beds 30cm apart and never a free one!!! How can they accept bookings for premium passengers and expect to get away with the minimum More offerings?

The ship was packed with over 4000 people and totally over crowded from any aspect. You could never find a seat in any of the lounges as they were ALL occupied. Entertainment was pathetic and very third rate with nothing standing out as exceptional. Strangely the Entertainments Director Joff was brilliant himself and was the best part of the entertainment, especially his John Cleese looks and mannerisms which in my book were quite funny. He excelled at the charades evening with the Captain and crew and should actually have done better by finding more appropriate acts on board.

The food in MYTIME dining was quite good and the waiters most entertaining and friendly but the seating each night seemed like a bun fight trying to get a preferred table, by the window!! Too many of the same people got the same tables EVERY night! We hated the Windjammer restaurant for lunch and breakfast as it was like a Blackpool night out with people fighting each other for food, we therefore retreated to the Chops Restaurant where we could eat with people with similar tastes, WHEN YOU COULD GET A TABLE!

We felt that the cruise line was just a big money grab organisation, nothing for nothing and at every corner they hit you for a few dollars, even birthday announcements in the daily mag $25. It just did not stop, they hit you for a buck at every opportunity. I paid cash in $$$ for my extras as stipulated up front only because they hit you 3% on a ££ credit card which again is profiteering on rates. They gave me a letter in my suite every time I had surpassed $500 as they wanted to be paid....I had to pay in every week as we cruised....and this is how they treat their PREMIUM passengers!!

I am sorry but if you like the good things in life and you are use to the spoils of Cunard Queens Grill and other premium voyages this ship is just another party ship reserved exclusively for the public as there are absolutely no standards on board and dress as you like even on official formal evenings.

Been their done that but never again..........cruising is fun and I am sure many people on board had a ball but in our class of travel the complaints on top were on-going, RC do not have a clue when you are a paying £9000 versus an average of £3000!!!!!! Less

Read more Independence of the Seas cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Independence of the Seas Review >>

Cabin review: Independence of the Seas Grand Suite Deck 10 1547

1556 0N THE 10TH WAS WHOLLY EXPOSED TO THE SPA ON THE OVER HANG OF THE SHIP ON DECK 11.CABIN WAS FINE EXCEPT NO SEPARATE TOILET OF SHOWER.