Splendour of the Seas Cruise Review by flagdaytwins: First-time cruiser, maybe my last?

flagdaytwins
Member Since 2013

Family & Children 1.0

Compare Prices on Splendour of the Seas Eastern Caribbean Cruises

First-time cruiser, maybe my last?

Sail Date: June 2013
Embarkation: New York (Manhattan)

We received this cruise as a gift. We were hesitant about how we would like being help captive on a boat with 3,600 other people. We are an active family -- our lives don't revolve around eating -- so you can see that we figured out that cruising isn't for us. We did not enjoy standing long buffet lines waiting to eat mediocre food. We thought of the ship as a floating cafeteria. The pools are useless -- they are tiny and always filled with people. The decks get very slippery and I fell twice, both with plates of food in my hands. That ruined my trip for me as I was sore the rest of the time. The service and the shows were 5+ stars.....and that's all I can say positively about this cruise. We spoke to the cruise director briefly and he suggested we consider cruising again but on a smaller ship, with less time getting to our destinations (2.5 days from NYC to Grand Turk).

As far as the Splendor goes, we loved that we could just drive to NYC and hop on the ship! The decor is More tacky but you soon get used to it. Our cabin was huge, it was a basic oceanview on the lowest level of the ship. Impeccably clean, plenty of space, and a hot high-pressured shower. The food was mediocre except for their desserts. Chocolate bar...amazing. My kids hated the kids club, they went for one hour and busted out. They really forgot to make a plan to cater to 11 year olds. The most awesome thing my kids wanted to do was go to the 12 year old club at night -- they were not allowed in. My kids had nothing to do for 5 of the 8 days of cruising. Less

Read more Splendour of the Seas cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Splendour of the Seas Review >>

Cabin review: Splendour of the Seas Large Oceanview Stateroom Deck 2

1651. large cabin, large bathroom, other than the tacky style of it, it was perfect! Beds very comfortable. Hot, high-pressure water in the shower.

The debarkation process took 2.5 hours. By the time we found a chair on the beach -- more than halfway down -- and got food from the cafeteria style barbecue (10 min walk from the beach), it was a 3 hour process. It was impossible to carry a couple plates of food and drinks back to the beach so you had to sit next to strangers to eat. There were no chairs or cabanas left on the beach but were lucky to find a tiki cover thing at the back of the beach (we had no view of the water because of the cabanas in front of us). The beach is beautiful, the water...amazing. To get back onto the ship, it was a 40 minute wait in the hot sun (no shade) to get onto the tender, which then sat 20 minutes at the side of the ship trying to get the drunk people off. This is NOT a port you want a handicapped or physically challenged person to go to.

Nassause.....horrible experience. You get off the ship and harrassed by multiple natives BEGGING you while you are walking to take their tour. Begging you until they find their next potential customer -- and I mean talking straight up into your face BEGGING you to hire them. VERY uncomfortable. Nassau itself -- the shopping area is a shame. While it has the high end products, it is dirty and you need to be careful of pick pocketers. We went right back to the boat after 1 hour of Nassau.

Read 2629 Nassau Reviews