Celebrity Century Cruise Review by janelouiseb: Wonderful experience in Alaska

Wonderful experience in Alaska

Sail Date: June 2013
Destination: Alaska
Embarkation: Vancouver

We (my husband and I) were on our third Celebrity cruise, first time in Alaska and had a wonderful time.

We had arrived in Canada the week before for a road trip in the Rockies and we ended up in Vancouver the night before the cruise. We stayed at the Holiday Inn (Downtown) using loyalty points, it was fine and I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it mostly for the convenient location. Our cab to Canada Place the next day was $10 (including tip) and took only a few minutes.

It was 12.30 when we arrived at the port (we'd spent the morning sightseeing in Vancouver), everything was very well organised but as we expected at that time it took a while to clear immigration and check in. We were surprised that a number of other cruisers did not have a visa waiver to enable them to enter the US, that held the queues up and (I'm sure) caused stress for those involved. We were onboard at 1.45 and were able to go straight to our room to drop off our hand luggage.

We sailed More at 4.30 and the sailaway was one of the highlights of the cruise, Vancouver is a beautiful city and we enjoyed being out on deck and all of the sights as we left.

Buffet - food was great, only once had difficulty finding a table, usually found a seat by the window or outside (when weather allowed). It's a traditional layout with queues and trays, it took me a few days to realise how many choices there were so wish I'd spent some time walking round at the beginning.

MDR - we had select (anytime) dining. The hostess was great as were serving staff. Enjoyed all of our meals and some things were great (especially veal chops and beef wellington).

Cabin - Ocean view on deck 9. We've previously had a balcony so I was worried about this, I needn't have been. We were out on deck as much as possible to enable us to move around and see everything.

Staff - exceptional, I think Celebrity have a good standard of service but Century's staff are amazing. Officers were accessible. I genuinely felt that everyone was geared to making sure we had a great holiday.

Entertainment - was good, we enjoyed the production shows. I will include Milos (the lecturer on board) in this section as he certainly was entertaining, at times this was at the expense of the scientific information which I was hoping for.

Ship - we have previously sailed on Celebrity solstice class and I was concerned that I might not like this older, smaller ship. I need not have worried, it's in great shape and I liked the layout and public rooms.

Ports of call were Icy Strait Point (tendered, which took ages. Wildlife spotting trip), Juneau (4 July so we watched the parade, then went to the Mendenhall Glacier and the Red Dog Saloon) and Ketchikan (float plane trip over the Misty Fjords). We didn't use any ship's excursions, but planned everything ourselves. A highlight was Hubbard Glacier we were very close and it was spectacular. During the cruise and excursions we saw whales, porpoises, eagles, a bear and mountain goats.

Overall this was an exceptional cruise and we had a great time. Disembarkation was well organised and we took a taxi to our hotel to drop off our luggage. We stayed at The Burrard, it was OK for the price but noisy due to other guests using the courtyard. We enjoyed our last 2 days in Vancouver. I would highly recommend a cruise to Alaska and The Century. Less

Read more Celebrity Century cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Celebrity Century Review >>

Cabin review: Celebrity Century Oceanview Stateroom Vista Deck (9) 9035

Plenty of storage, good size and spotlessly clean