Sun Princess Cruise Review by gemini19: Star Princess - Alaska

Star Princess - Alaska

Sail Date: June 2013
Destination: Alaska
Embarkation: Seattle

Went on Star Princess Alaska inside passage on June 29 out of Seattle. While my last cruise was on Oasis of the Sea in Sep 2012 I knew not to expect the first class service; but Star Princess took the cake for the worst and most boring cruise I have ever taken.

Transfers to the port were well organized and getting on the ship was over all good. I had a mini-suite with a balcony which was a nice size; disappointed with the balcony as it looked like it should have been powerwashed and there was a constant banging from the partition at night and banging from the cabin doors on the floor above and below.

Food was the worst I have ever had on any ship as it was never hot mostly luke warm, poor variety and it looked like it was frozen. Only ate at the dining room twice once for breakfast -- we had to ask them if the pancakes were frozen as they were barely warm and all looked the exact same) ate for a lunch -- my friend ordered a cheeseburg and fries and I ordered More lasgna--both were cold and her hamburg came with a piece of cheese slapped on needless to say it was sent back to heat the cheese up and then they poured the ketchup on the hamburg and portion it on the plate for the fries. You also had to wait for the drinks to be ordered and delivered to your table at the buffet court--beware of the toddler glass they put your orange juice in -- you must tell them you want a large (which is regular size glass). They had poor variety at the buffet and my time dining needless to say we were not going to spend money on the specialty restaurants and be disappointed. The tuna sandwich at the cafe was good as you could get it heated. Beware of the drinks as I ordered a $9.14 long island ice tea which was horribly watered down along with my friend who got a cosmo.

Entertainment was never more then 30 minutes. We had to ask the host why the performances were so short--he stated that the entertainers get tired as they had multiple performances during the night. We saw a comedy show with a ventriliquist which was funny, the regular comedy was bad and the stage performance was horrible as it felt like they were yelling at you because the theatre was to small--a high school performance was better then this. Princess Olympics, yes/no game, bingo, jeopardize were all good but 30 minutes and only prize was the princess key chain with light -- I think that they had an overstock of them.

Excursions were very good (tram ride- Juneau, 6 hr train/motorcoach tour-skagway, and zipline in ketchikan) but poorly organized getting to the correct location for your bus as you had to walk up and down looking for the bus or the person holding the sign (some were actually using their sign to sign waiver on). Disappointed debarking and embarking never knew what floor to go to and the location was most times close to the stairs--at times they had to hold people outside due to the backlog inside . Also disappointed with the time at each location -- it stated one thing on our itnerary and news letter but they also changed the time due back on board as we were competing with holland america at the ports.

Needless to say I will not be cruising with princess again and have since cancelled by cruisetour vacation to Australia/New Zealand and booked with celebrity cruise as it was too much money and time to have a bad experience. Less

Read more Sun Princess cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Sun Princess Review >>

Cabin review: Sun Princess Suite with Balcony Dolphin Deck d223

Mini-suite with balcony D223 -- bathroom nice size with tub, a lot of closet space and drawer space, beds uncomfortable and you only get a comforter, two television but one remote, limited channel selection. No clock in room. Balcony nice size with table and reclining chairs and foot rests but needed to be power washed as it was not the cleanest. Constant banging from the partition between cabins. Cabin doors needed to be slammed in order to close so you will hear that all night long on our floor and the floor above and below. Had trouble getting the key to work in the door on the first attempt most times.

Took the shuttle to downtown and finally got a hot meal at a restaurant and shopped for gifts. This is the shortest port and you have to compete with Holland America as they docked 1/2 hour before us and we had to wait until customs finished with their ship first. Beware that you are only there for 3 hours must be back on ship by 11.

Read 553 Victoria Reviews