Carnival Ecstasy Cruise Review by tinkr2: Quick Getaway

Quick Getaway

Sail Date: July 2013
Destination: Bahamas
Embarkation: Port Canaveral

I'll start by saying I was very worried about sailing on Carnivals oldest ship in one of their worst cabins,with a predicted tropical storm, but no worries.

I booked this 8 days out on the carnival site based solely on price and then got all worried after I went on the boards. The boat is small so less walking. The boat is old but seemed decently maintained. The art work and neon are ugly but kinda fun and cruise cheesy, changing neon isn't for everyone. The food is by no means five star but sure was plenty good since I gained 5 pounds.

The boarding process was great. We did off site parking at cruise parking and touched no luggage which my husband was a huge fan of. we walked right on the ship and had lunch and a cocktail with in 10 minutes. The pool was hopping and the music was playing lots of fun dance tunes. Sailaway was nice with lots of silly line dances and plenty of tropical drinks.

We were assigned late dinner 815 at Windsong. this was confusing bc More Ive never been on a ship with more than one main dining room and of course we stood in line at Windstar and had to march up a floor and down a floor on the other side of ship. Night one, the dinner was fine and most people were in dresses and nice slacks. Our staff was so so, one great(Nancy) and one nice but flustered. Their dancing was terrific and they made the dancing "show" fun every night.Formal night the dinner was nice, prime rib and lil lobster tail. Night 3, the dinner was terrible, 3 entrees between us, pork, fish and chicken...all no good. But there was a Mexican buffet at 11, that was muy bueno!!!Night 4 dinner was amazing, I think we had all 6 apps between us and all were great. The pasta and the roast chicken were both very tasty. The buffet was fine for breakfast, lines at some parts, walk right up at others. Standard breakfast stuff at all with nothing unique like on some other lines.

Day 2 we sailed into Nassau at 12 and rented some mopeds. Getting off and on was quick and easy and Nassau was not very crowded bc no big ships were in port. Went to the new rum factory, Gatlings, terrific beautiful stop. people at our table had paid 200 plus for Atlantis and did not seem so thrilled. We ate fried fish and cruised around and had a nice day.

Day 3 was half Moon cay which is a terrific stop. The island was beautiful and had an area for everyone, A crowded family area, a loud area in front of a giant pirate ship bar and deserted enclaves further down. Much to my husbands displeasure, I chose the area with loud party music and dancing. He did love the Captain Morgan bar and sat on the top deck admiring the view and smoking cigars. There is all sorts of stuff to do, for pay or free. DH enjoyed a nice nature hike while I enjoyed laying around.

Day 4 was a sea day and sadly it was misty and not great out. We ate lunch in MDR(nice) and played silly games like scattergories and family feud with the staff in the Metro Bar. I enjoy the art auctions so sat in that and then resumed eating and drinking....

The night life was pretty decent up until about 1. Metro had fun songs that everyone knows and cruise director did a nice job leading a greatest hits event. Pool parties and Stripes had lots of dancing. Piano bar was a disappointment bc of its poor location, never much going on there. One show was ok at best and next night was a Marriage and love game show, barely entertainment. There are a bunch of comedy shows which is nice. Pretty raunchy comedy for the adult shows, did not make it to family shows.

The ship is small so all the public ares are right on top of each other which makes it easy to check out whats going on. The pool is typical,small. The water slide looks the same on all the ships. Hot tubs were crowded and not very hot but still fun. This was not a dream vacation but was still worth the the price. I would go again tomorrow. (; Less

Read more Carnival Ecstasy cruise reviews >>