River Duchess Cruise Review by Bellanita

Cruise Date: May 2013
Embarkation: Vienna
Destination: Europe River
Cabin Category: 4
See More About: River Duchess Cruise Reviews | Europe River Cruise Reviews | Uniworld Cruise Deals
Dining 5+

Ship Facts: River Duchess Review (by Cruise Critic!) | River Duchess Deck Plans
Above and Beyond

This was our first river cruise and we were not really sure what to expect. We have enjoyed several ocean cruises and knew how much the staff and service can affect your enjoyment of your journey. Having said that, we were also concerned with the small quarters, noise, and quality of food on a smaller ship. We were amazed and delighted that our room , though small has so efficiently organized and luxurious that it exceeded the larger suites we have enjoyed on the bigger ships. The noise was negligible even though we were on the top deck. To say the food was amazing does not do it justice. Every meal was delicious, with lots of fresh fruits and vegetables. I particularly enjoyed the choice of local cuisine on the dinner menu. Requests were taken seriously and every effort was made to fulfill them quickly. This was no small task considering the variety of nationalities on board. The wine and beer selections were deliciously varied and appropriate for the entrees being served. As to the amount of food served, all I can say is I rarely finished everything on my plate nor did my husband , a heavier eater. It was more than sufficient.

Having owned and worked in service industry businesses I was particularly attuned to the service and the staff. I give them all an A+. Exemplary, is putting it mildly. Everyone from the Captain on down went out of their way to insure guests needs and desires were met. Keeping in mind , the variety of cultures represented as well as (dis)ability (age and weight related) and demands, we were truly impressed with the high level of service. In particular Monica our cruise director, Elena the fitness and massage therapist and Lucian in the dining room were stand outs. In addition, our tour guides for the excursions were outstanding, especially Erika in Hungary. The only improvement I can recommend is to contract with local barbers or hairstylist and aestheticians for grooming needs while in port. 2 weeks ( sometimes as long as 4) is a long time to go without these needs being met. This should not be too difficult to arrange and would be much appreciated, especially for senior travelers.

The best recommendation I can give is to say that my husband and I cannot wait to go on another Uni-world river cruise.

Publication Date: 07/21/13