Zuiderdam Cruise Review by mcotravelgal

Cruise Date: June 2013
Embarkation: Vancouver
Destination: Alaska
Cabin Category: VA
See More About: Zuiderdam Cruise Reviews | Alaska Cruise Reviews | Holland America Cruise Deals

Ship Facts: Zuiderdam Review (by Cruise Critic!) | Zuiderdam Deck Plans
The Zuiderdam

I wish I could say that this cruise was fantastic, but it wasn't. My husband and I sailed from Vancouver for a 7 night cruise to Alaska round trip. There was roughly 1600 people onboard. 80% were over 65 years old, aprox 100 kids under 18 and the rest were between 30-65. Mostly couples.

The food was very good considering there is only one restaurant that you could go to without paying an additional fee. (We don't consider the buffet on the Lido deck a dining choice for dinner). We selected anytime dining since we don't like to eat at a pre-selected time each night. We were never offered a table for 2. Each night we dined with strangers, most of them over 75 years old and were hard of hearing. I really missed having the one-on-one time with my husband and discussing our day with each other during dinner.

There was not much to do on board aside from eating, gambling and drinking. I found myself looking for activities in the daily itinerary that came to my room each day but came up with the usual Bingo, Bunko and Trivia Contests. The entertainment in the theatre was very simple and seemed to lack imagination. (song and dance 4 out of 7). The Juggler and Comedian were good. We did enjoy the happy hour each day(2 for 1) offered in the Exploration Café/Library.

The rooms and the staff were excellent and top notch. They really did an excellent job keeping the ship clean and neat. The excursions were truly over rated and failed to impress. One excursion thru the "city" of Juneau consisted of simply passing by a brick building which turns out was city hall. (no wow factor there). Never saw any wildlife with the exception of an eagle here and there. I have to say Glacier Bay was very impressive. They let local guides board the ship at dawn and gave us a play by play of the glaciers that were saw throughout the day. I would have to say this part was the highlight of our cruises.

This cruise would be ideal for an older couple who like to sit around and look at pretty mountains passing by as they sip coffee from their balcony's. If you are looking for adventure, wildlife sightings and want to be entertained, this is not the ship.

Publication Date: 07/21/13