Norwegian Breakaway Cruise Review by mmcke90445: Breakaway ia a rip off!! 100% honest review...do not go!!

mmcke90445
Member Since 2008

Family & Children 3.3

Compare Prices on Norwegian Breakaway Bermuda Cruises

Breakaway ia a rip off!! 100% honest review...do not go!!

Sail Date: July 2013
Destination: Bermuda
Embarkation: New York (Manhattan)

I sailed on the Breakaway from July 7th to 14th with my husband and 2 children (4yrs and 2 yrs). Let me preface this review by saying that we have been on 9 other cruises prior to this one, sailing on NCL( 1 prior), Carnival and Royal Caribbean. This was a group trip so I decided to give NCL another shot since this was a new ship even though I was less than impressed with them the 1st time. I have been on new ships and some older ones so I expect to get what I paid for.

This Breakaway and NCL in general is not for anyone who has a child under 4 yrs of age. Unlike Carnival and Royal Caribbean who will watch children under 4 (even babies), NCL has no options. My biggest problem with this ship is how small the rooms are!! By far the tiniest cabin I have ever had on any of my cruises. I was given an inside family stateroom which cost $5100 for the 4 of us!! There was only a queen bed 2 pull down beds and one tiny closet. No dresser no couch no table...no exaggeration. It was More TINY. I walked in that room the first day and walked back out to guest services as I was certain this was a mistake for $5100. I politely asked for an upgrade and offered to pay more and was rudely told that they were 100% booked...which was not true as someone in our party was moved to another room as their original room was located right above the theater.

On top of the $5100 we paid (I've been to 5 star all inclusive resorts and paid less hence me repeating the price) NCL nickel and dimed for every single thing. Room service was $4 after midnight and took forever to come. If you wanted a pizza delivered to your room it was an extra $5. I ordered 2 cups of apple juice for the kids and they wanted to charge me $2 per cup??? The specialty restaurants on the ship charge from $15 to $59 per person!!! Oh and the shows...you have to pay for those too!!! The only thing free on this ship was the buffet in the Garden Cafe. Not one night was lobster served...you would have to go to the specialty restaurant to get this and pay for it. So for that price basically all you get is a buffet and a super tiny super cramped room. This is a total rip off and if I can convince one family to not spend their hard earned money on this overrated and expensive ship then my job is done.

Choose Carnival or Royal Caribbean...not NCL. Their ships are boring and are way overpriced. I would never ever recommend this cruise line or this ship to anyone. This is not coming from a disgruntled cruiser, trust me I work hard for my money and I am mad that I wasted so much money on this overrated ship where you have to pay for every single thing. You can get better deals on the other cruise lines or go to an all inclusive. Yes I know it's a new ship but it was designed poorly and definitely not worth the price.

PROS: embarkation was a breeze, Cheryll our stateroom attendant was awesome,water park

CONS: price, have to pay extra for everything on top of price, tiniest rooms on any cruise ship, narrow hallways, no services for under 4 yrs old, boring ship, charge for room service after midnight, only one place to eat after 11 pm, small night club (terrible DJ) Less

Read more Norwegian Breakaway cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Norwegian Breakaway Review >>

Cabin review: Norwegian Breakaway

Cabin 12429. Tiny closet, tiny room, located next to housekeeping station so was noisy, small hallway, good size bathroom, dark and cramped room, not ideal for family. No space to put baby's crib and baby cannot sleep on bunk so baby slept on bed.