Star Princess Cruise Review by johnbottsr: First timer review. Star Princess inside passage.

johnbottsr
Member Since 2013

Compare Prices on Star Princess Alaska Cruises

First timer review. Star Princess inside passage.

Sail Date: July 2013
Destination: Alaska
Embarkation: Seattle

Not having anything to compare to, I think this was a good cruise. I enjoyed the dining rooms (more than the Mrs) and the stateroom was fine. The steward was always on hand (in fact I compared him to the John Torturro charachter in Mr. Deeds).

Did not like the buffet but I have never liked buffets. The food was just OK there and the staff was a little too present (like asking if I needed anything every two minutes) there is such a thing as too much attention.

I enjoyed the Capri dining room for most dinners and had the British pub lunch one day (steak and kidney pie was awesome).

I think I would have had a much better time had I not applied a dramamine patch in Seattle. Having never cruised before I thought I would hedge against sea-sickness but it was a huge mistake. I experienced ALL of the negative side-effects of the dramamine and was pretty incapacitated a couple of days.

We didn't go to too many shows preferring to just enjoy the scenery for More the most part.

The one professional show we went to was good and the trivia was fun. Next time will probably take more advantage of these offerings.

Weather was awesome for embarkation.

Juneau was rain and wind and the dramamine started messing with me.

Skagway I felt better and the weather was tolerable. The white pass train ride is great.

Glacier Bay was the highlight. Weather was perfect (they said the best in memory) and it made the entire trip. Lot's of whales sighted as we sailed out too. Glad I took binoculars.

Ketchikan was another beautiful day but a short time in port. Nice little town.

Victoria had beautiful weather but is a short stay.

Embarkation was a hassle. Not sure if it was typical but it was wait in line to get in another line to get in yet another line. Did not seem very efficient.

Also, the wife started getting disturbed at being pitched at every turn. Did not bother me as much as I can ignore that stuff pretty easily, but she had a point.

Also, all of the ports except for Victoria we basically souvenir and jewelry shops owned by the cruise lines. Got to feeling like they were just taking you to their stores.

All in all I enjoyed it DESPITE the reaction to the dramamine and will go on another cruise in the future. Less

Read more Star Princess cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Star Princess Review >>

Cabin review: Star Princess Oceanview Obstructed Emerald Deck

Cabin was fine for two adults and the view obstruction was minimal.

I don't like to shop and there wasn't much more to do here (my fault for not taking an excursion).

Read 841 Juneau Reviews

Duck Tour

(3)

Not much of a tour but pretty fun.
Overpriced.

White Pass Scenic Railway

(5)

Great ride.
Lots of fun and just long enough.

Beautiful city with lots to do.
Short stay time though.