Grand Princess Cruise Review by joni1495k

Cruise Date: June 2013
Embarkation: San Francisco
Destination: Alaska
Cabin Number: D205
See More About: Grand Princess Cruise Reviews | Alaska Cruise Reviews | Princess Cruise Deals
Member Rating   5+ out of 5+
Dining 5+
Public Rooms 5+
        7-9 5+
Value-for-Money 5+
Rates 5+

Ship Facts: Grand Princess Review (by Cruise Critic!) | Grand Princess Deck Plans
Absolutely the best ever

This was a remarkable experience. I begin with thinking I probably should have booked a Disney Cruise for the kids, and end with they had the best time of their lives. The saddest event was they had to get off the ship. The Youth Program (Pelicans) for them was the best. They had activities, crafts, dances, entertainment, talent shows, fairs, face painting, games, movies, ice cream socials, and I could go on for ever. My grandchildren couldn't wait to go and absolutely stayed as long as they could. The youth staff deserve medals for their ability to handle and enjoy the kids. I cannot say enough about how wonderful they were.

So to begin, we arrived in San Francisco during Gay Pride weekend but traffic was not that bad. We were able to get on the ship quickly and easily. Our room was ready and our room steward was remarkable. She left a "towel animal" for the kids every night. She greeted us with a smile and was ever so quick to ask if we needed anything. I always like an extra blanket and she had one for me before the evening meal.

The staff on the Grand Princess makes me want to book again and again. The hotel general Manager, Andreas, was congenial, friendly and very accomadating. He smiled the whole time and was out and about to greet and meet people. Where do you get this even in a 5 star hotel?!! The Captain was visable, which is unusual, delightful, and full of British jokes. The future cruise hostess, Rene from Australia, was fantastic. What a remarkable young lady so full of energy and personality. The Captain's Circle Hostess was by far the best we have ever met. She was interesting, charming, intelligent, and more than accomadating. I don't understand how one ship can manage to have the best of the best, and for the staff they surely did.

The dinning room service was suburb. We were next to some very rude people, who were loud and obnixous to the dinning room staff, and yet the staff was polite and made every effort to accomadate them. For us they were wonderful. David, the head waiter, made a special birthday plate for my granddaughter; our waiter Maricio and jr. waiter Napoleon went way beyond expectations in service to us and to my grand children, as did the other waiters at the table nearby, Val and Sandy. Upstairs in the Horizon grill the staff were equally as kind. The food was good. Everyone says it is not as good as it used to be, but it was certainy okay, and I don't cruise to eat. Yes I have seen people gain many pounds on a cruise. I don't. The entertainment was good. The shows were the same, but different because of different talents, and quite well done. We did delight in the Rhapsody Trio in the Atrium. The violinist was amazing.

My opinion is that this was a wonderful cruise. My grandchildren did not want to leave which was a good sign. Overall I would rate the Grand top notch. If you look for things that are not good, you will find them, if you look for happiness and fun, you will find that. The room was pleasant (we had a mini suite with the kids) and it was comfortable.

I would take this cruise over and over again!!

Publication Date: 07/16/13