Disney Fantasy Cruise Review by grandmaR

Member Name: grandmaR
Cruise Date: June 2013
Embarkation: Port Canaveral
Cabin Number: 2020
See More About: Disney Fantasy Cruise Reviews | Western Caribbean Cruise Reviews | Disney Cruise Deals
        10-12 2.0

First Disney Cruise

Background information : This was my sixth trip with a grandchild and my first with Disney. My granddaughter is 12 and I am 75. When I was trying to decide what to do with this granddaughter that would not be a repeat of another grandchild trip, I thought maybe I would try Disney to the Caribbean because I thought she would like Disney and she did. I myself am not a big Disney fan.

Since I am opposed to flying in the same day as the cruise, I had to decide whether to go to WDW or just stay at the airport. We had a very early flight into Orlando, and I thought it would be silly to be in Orlando and stay at the airport. Disney would not admit to the possibility of any other location other than WDW or the airport, and since I had Disney transfers, I wanted them to be able to find me. So I booked the Disney All Star Music Resort (because music is my granddaughter's main interest). The hotel itself was nice although the rooms that faced the guitar shaped pool would be very noisy. There was a refrigerator and there was a Mickey outline on the bed with towels, and a shampoo with a Mickey head on it. I booked a scooter for moving around the hotel and Disney from Buena Vista. There was a food court type operation where we could get food and they had something for my gluten allergic granddaughter to eat.

We went to Downtown Disney to see the Cirque de Soleil show. Afterward, we bought some gluten free donuts and a cupcake from a store there at Downtown Disney. Then the scooter started acting up and eventually stopped altogether and refused to run, even though it said that it was still fully charged. The scooter place closed at 8 pm and it was now 8:30. Two wonderful Disney employees pushed me and the scooter to the bus so we could get back to the hotel. The bell desk got a wheelchair for me, but absolutely refused to help my granddaughter with pushing it.

The Disney transfers picked up our bags at 8 a.m. and my granddaughter (working very hard because it was slightly uphill and she only weighs about 1/3rd as much as I do) pushed me back to the lobby to get the bus to Port Canaveral. We had TV screens every couple of seats and they played videos about the ship and cruise all the way to the port. The time went very fast.

When we got to the port, I asked for a wheelchair (again, my granddaughter had to push). We went through security and up to the area to check in. It was very quick. As I normally do, I had rented a scooter for the trip from Special Needs at Sea. At check-in, they gave me the scooter I had booked to use in getting on the ship so my granddaughter didn't have to push me. We were able to get into our stateroom after about 15 minutes (at 1:30) and dropped our carry on bags and then went up to get something to eat.

Ship info: Fantasy is a new ship and had all the bells and whistles that one might expect. It's just very big and there were a lot of people on board. One thing very nice about this ship is that the doorways out to the promenade deck are almost level - no big lump in the doorway to get the scooter over. I rarely had a problem getting an elevator and it was nice that most of the elevators had mirrors on the back wall so that I could see how to back the scooter out. One thing that they do NOT have is a computer area. If you want to use a computer and you didn't bring one with you, you could check out a laptop, but it was configured so that you could not do anything except log on. You could not write your email off-line and then log on and send it - you had to pay for typing the email in. You couldn't even play solitaire.

We had cabin 2020 (second deck) which was convenient for the Enchanted Garden restaurant. I liked the porthole window and my granddaughter liked to sit there and look out. It was also convenient to have two sections to the bathroom - one side had the shower/tub and a sink, and the other side had the toilet and the sink. There was plenty of closet space, and there was a mini-fridge. The TV was nice and we could see all the Disney cartoons and movies for free. The remote was extremely difficult to use. I reported it once, but it did not get better. But the huge enormous king bed (not a fan of king beds) was fixed in place and could not be moved. It also meant that I could not bring my scooter into the room as I usually do. I had to plug it in out in the lobby. This was VERY inconvenient. I don't need a handicapped room as I can walk a little, but because the bed couldn't be moved, I had to walk farther than I would have needed to on any other ship just to get to my scooter.

Dining: Fantasy has an 'interesting' way of rotating you through the three restaurants - always at the same number table with the same servers. Except for the Royal Court there are no windows to the outside in the dining rooms - they do not take much advantage of the views of the sea. One great advantage that this ship had - they managed magnificently to give my gluten allergic granddaughter food that she could eat and wanted to eat. (Although when I phoned to ask before the cruise the person on the phone specifically told me that she could only have gluten free at dinner.) She ate like a queen and I did not have to worry that she would get sick from the food. The server brought her the menu each night for the next night, and she picked what she wanted, and they made it gluten free for her. This included the lunch at Castaway Cay. They had a special lunch for her there too and the also had gluten free pancakes, waffles, donuts etc at breakfast. It was nice that soft drinks were free, but neither of us drink soft drinks. My granddaughter likes pink lemonade, and I was very happy to be able to get cranberry juice at any meal.

Children's Clubs: My granddaughter was not too impressed with Oceanears - she said all the children there were little and only came up to her knees. She could do either that or Edge but when she went to Edge she said that all the kids were in cliques playing with their friends, and she did not feel welcome there.

Entertainment: My granddaughter didn't think much of the fireworks show and she wanted to have her picture taken with Jack Sparrow but he wasn't at the appointed place.

Service: I have no complaints at all about the service. Service in all areas was excellent.

Publication Date: 07/16/13