Sapphire Princess Cruise Review by VicMackey

Member Name: VicMackey
Cruise Date: June 2013
Embarkation: Vancouver
Destination: Alaska
See More About: Sapphire Princess Cruise Reviews | Alaska Cruise Reviews | Princess Cruise Deals

Voyage of the Glaciers on Sapphire Princess

We flew into Vancouver the day before our cruise. We stayed downtown and enjoyed viewing the city. Vancouver is a very bustling and vibrant city with a lot of activity.

Embarkation at Canada Place was organized and easy. We embarked around 1pm and had no problems, just a few short waits in line. The entire process took less than 30 minutes.

When I got to the cabin, I was warmly greeted by Roland my cabin steward who was outstanding for the entire trip. There were several issues as far as special requests that were not completed properly. It took going through two supervisory levels and insisting that things be done right before they were. I was very disappointed in their lack of awareness as it relates to this specific situation. There was also an issue with a door repair that took two different engineers to come up and look it, including having to wait one day for 6 hours (while there were other activities I wanted to participate in that I missed). I waited because I wanted to make sure it was done right the second time. They improved the situation but it was still difficult to get the door to work properly. After addressing these issues and one other issue, things went better but it was a real tough start to the trip.

As far as the entertainment, I did not attend the evening shows as we were more focused on the wildlife and scenery. I did attend a couple of the daytime events during at sea days and found them to have a lot of cheesey humor. I wasn't a big fan but it seemed as though all of these shows were pretty well attended. The naturalist Sandra was very knowledgeable and her presentations while very fast paced were informative.

The food was probably a 2.5/5. It was just okay. The servers were not very knowledgeable about the menu and weren't able to answer questions on it. The two exceptions to this were Loretto, who was a real stand out and Waldo.

Alaska, though, was absolutely incredible. The ports - Skagway, Juneau, and Ketchikan worked out well as did Glacier Bay and College Fjord. We got to see wildlife including humpback whales and seals from the ship which was great.

On the whole, I would give Princess a 6.5/10 and Alaska a 10/10.

Publication Date: 07/16/13