S.S. Antoinette Cruise Review by cozama

Member Name: cozama
Cruise Date: May 2013
Embarkation: other
Destination: Europe River
See More About: S.S. Antoinette Cruise Reviews | Europe River Cruise Reviews | Uniworld Cruise Deals

Ship Facts: S.S. Antoinette Review (by Cruise Critic!)
Castles on the Rhine

River was high, so we had to take a bus from Basel to some town further up the Rhine. They let us know ahead of time, and I thought no problem, wrong. Couldn't figure out where they were. Finally stopped at a Viking ship that was there and they said check some of the busses along the river. So we drove past all the buses asking if they were Uniworld and the fourth bus was. They never even put out a sign.

Castles, what castles. One day, that's all, you got to some castles along the river for one day. Thought I was going to be seeing more than that on a cruise labeled Castles on the Rhine. Mostly farm land, industrial complexes, power plants and towns.

I cruise Regents most of the time so if you haven't cruised them, my review may mean nothing to you. The waiters were surely. Finally determined where I wanted to sit most of the time, tipped waiter 20 euros and my best friend was found. Food was mediocre, not even close to Regents quality, nor the service. You had buffets for breakfast and lunch, cafeteria dining.

The ship is showing it's age, and it's new! Had a swimming pool, about 8'x10', would have liked to use it, except for the strong sewer smell in the area. We were in a suite and it was nice, but showing age on the bureaus (faded and chipped paint). Bathroom was nice, double sinks and the shower was larger than I expected for a river ship.

Having other ships tie up next to you about half the places we stopped at was not nice. Paid the extra for the suite and the big windows, and half the time, I was looking a someone else's curtains or dining rooms window of another ship.

The top sun deck was nice to set out on, when you were cruising, but you mostly arrived in the morning and left in the evening, so you really didn't get much time to do that. The ship did allow you to bring your own booze onboard and that was nice.

Some people love the rivers and as you can tell I'm not one. Food quality, service and great places to stop are important to me and this cruise did not deliver.

Publication Date: 07/15/13