“Overall good - but Norovirus problems”
Cruise review of Celebrity Eclipse

JAYHAWKCRUISER Celebrity Eclipse 4 Overall good - but Norovirus problems
JAYHAWKCRUISER
Member Since 2005
No Helpful Votes
Overall Member Rating

Overall this was a good cruise experience. We enjoyed the ports, especially St. Petersburg and Tallin.

Embarkation was easy - no terribly long lines.

The ship is beautiful and well-kept. My only disappointment was the noise on board. I love to read but avoided the library since there was constant noise from the clanking of the elevator cables in the atrium. I couldn't find a single quiet public room. All had rather loud music piped in all the time. Celebrity, please offer one option for people who desire a quiet reading room.

Our cabin was well-appointed, but lacked adequate storage space for a two week cruise. The closet is very small and there are no shelves for clothes anywhere in the cabin except for a storage area directly over the bed. Very limited drawer space. I love the shower stall with glass doors instead of a curtain. The balcony was large with very nice furniture. This balcony cabin is listed as a fully obstructed view, but we could see everywhere from our balcony, except straight down to the water.

We thought the food in the main dining room was excellent. We tried Tuscan Grille (not worth the $$ in our opinion) and Murano (excellent). However, our dining enjoyment was much diminished by the Norovirus which started on day 3 or 4. Although we were never sick, dining became tedious. I've never had so much disinfectant sprayed on my hands. In the main buffet, waiters had to serve all food and drink so lines became very long - even for beverages. Since waiters had to be moved from the main dining room to help in the buffet, service in the main dining room suffered too. The crew was exceptional and tried their best. But they were soon exhausted by the extra work. I felt sorry for them.

I know the ships can't control the Norovirus and they tried very hard to make things as pleasant as possible. However, this seems to be a chronic problem on the Eclipse. I've read that the ship had the virus on several previous cruises too.

I'm happy to recommend SPB tours in St. Petersburg. They were exceptional and much nicer than being on a large bus.

We were off the ship in Southampton by 8:30. Things moved very quickly.

After the cruise we headed to London for three nights. I used Smiths for Airports for a private transfer from the Southampton pier to the Le Meridien Hotel on Piccadilly. Our driver George arrived promptly on time in a spotlessly clean car. He was an excellent driver and we enjoyed chatting with him. I'd definitely use Smiths again. It was much easier than taking the National Bus and wasn't that much more expensive when we added the cost of cabs in Southampton and London.

In London we loved taking the "London Walks". Our favorite was "A Village in Piccadilly" with guide Katy. She was so enthusiastic and clearly loves her job. We also enjoyed "Old Kensington - London's Royal Village". I don't recommend the "Jack the Ripper" walk - no atmosphere and the whole area was swamped with tour groups - not worth the time or $$.

Celebrity Eclipse Cruises to the Baltic Sea
  • Shore Excursions
  • Value for Money

Cabin review: Deluxe Veranda 2D

2D6210
Near elevator but not noisy. Listed as fully-obstructed view, but we could easily see over the life boat, but not directly down to the water. Not much closet space and no shelves for clothes anywhere except for a cabinet over the bed. Very limited drawer space.
Published 07/16/13
No Helpful Votes
Read Cruise Critic’s Celebrity Eclipse Review
Celebrity Eclipse Cruises to the Baltic Sea
Share feedback
Thank you!  Cruise Critic values your feedback.
How can we improve this page?