Celebrity Millennium Cruise Review by kaysha2004: Don't Take the First Cruise Of The Season To Alaska On Celebrity

kaysha2004
Member Since 2013

Compare Prices on Celebrity Millennium Alaska Cruises

Don't Take the First Cruise Of The Season To Alaska On Celebrity

Sail Date: May 2013
Destination: Alaska
Embarkation: Seward

I will never take the first cruise of the season again (no matter how good the price is) because it is the last cruise for the crew before their contract is up and they were tired. I know this because the crew constantly complained of this. The Millineum was coming from a 3-week cruise from China and they brought with them the noravirus, which caused every imaginable problem for my cruise before I even boarded. The boarding process was delayed and was a nightmare. When I got to my room, despite being booked in Concierge Class, my luggage was not there and my room was filthy and there were none of the amenity extras you pay for. There were nothing in the room...and I mean no soap, no towels, no glasses. Nothing to freshen up. There were toenail clippings on the carpet and the bedding had hair in it. I was afraid to sit down.

Many of the extravagant menu items that you enjoy on a cruise were not available from day one because they excluded them from the menu. I only found out More about the noravirus epidemic through other passengers. The crew would not disclose this information to the passengers and did not explain why the new passengers were treated like they were carrying the plague. The drinks in the buffet line were no longer self serve, so the crew had to fill your drinks for you. I don't mind this, but they didn't staff it with enough crew, so you had to wait 5 minutes to get a simple glass of water. By then, your meal is getting cold and the frustration level rises.

My room was never fully stocked with everything, and every day I had to keep asking for the minimums. I never received all the extras I paid for for Concierge Class. This was my first Alaska cruise, first time with Concierge Class, and I am very, very disappointed.

I tried the Qsine restaurant and was very disappointed. The temperature of the restaurant was utterly freezing, and the staff knew it, because they were handing out blankets to the diners. Unacceptable dining experience! The food was good and unique but not fantastic. The service was slow and not well-paced. I would not recommend this restaurant for the extra fee.

Our final destination was Vancouver. I booked an post-cruise through Celebrity to see the city of Vancouver before my flight later in the afternoon. The motor coach was an hour late, and left 60 people stranded in the airport terminal with no communication from Celebrity about what was happening. There was no concern or care from Celebrity staff to keep the passengers informed. When the bus got there, there was too much luggage for the bus to carry, so some of the passengers had to separate from their luggage so that Celebrity could send it ahead to the airport. My concern was my ability to make my international flight back to the U.S. and still have time to do this post-cruise excursion. They assured me, "no problem, you'll make your flight." Needless to say, I couldn't really enjoy the bus tour while looking at my watch every 10 minutes. They lied about the timeliness of the tour. I barely made my flight with only 15 minutes to spare before boarding the plane.

I am a single cruise passenger and, thus, have to pay double to cruise. This is a nasty penalty that I shouldn't have to pay because I travel solo.

I will never travel on the Millenium again. Less

Read more Celebrity Millennium cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Celebrity Millennium Review >>

Cabin review: Celebrity Millennium Concierge Class Vista Deck (7) 9118

Cabin 9018 is decent in location, not too far from the stairs or the elevator and far enough from common area noise. The bathroom sink has a chronic problem of not draining unless you completely remove the sink stopper. Then the cabin steward would put it back in and I'd have to take it back out or the sink would fill up with water. The room is in need of renovation, as the flooring is stained and peeling. There was a constant smell of sewer whenever you entered the bathroom, which was disgusting. The peephole slider was broken, so you could never close it, which meant you always had a beam of light from the hallway coming into your room. The plug was so loose, I had to prop my devices so they would stay plugged in. The carpet is very worn by the balcony door.

This is the port that has a lot going on....fresh salmon, king crab, shopping, furs, art, jewelry and activities you can book independent of Celebrity immediately when you walk off the dock. This was an enjoyable port to walk on an off the ship, if you wanted to, without a hike to the ship. A few of the salmon vendors have samples for you to try before you buy and they're super friendly to the cruise ship tourists. I saw the lumberjack show (booked once I got off the ship). It was a little corny and, of course, overpriced, but if you want to laugh a little, it was a decent show. I wish the ship would stay in port later so we could get the full benefit of being in port for a full day and into the evening.

This is a quaint port of call with not a lot to do if you don't book an excursion, but the excursions are expensive, so I chose to wander the port. This is the first cruise ship of the season to come to Skagway, so the shops and restaurants were not in high gear for tourists. You could wander through town in just a couple of hours. It's a long walk back to the ship. Nothing spectacular about this port of call. Why is the salmon just as expensive in Alaska as it is back home? You'd think since this is the home of fresh salmon, it would be cheaper. Not so. Also king crab legs are very expensive here...just about the same high price as back home. The only difference is you are getting that day's catch and very fresh. I wish the ship would stay in port later so we could get the full benefit of being in port for a full day and into the evening.

Read 645 Skagway Reviews