Norwegian Breakaway Cruise Review by BFarr14

Norwegian Breakaway
Norwegian Breakaway
Member Name: BFarr14
Cruise Date: June 2013
Embarkation: New York (Manhattan)
Destination: Bermuda
Public Rooms 5+
Entertainment 5+

Breakaway just O.K.

Just returned from our 7-night NYC to Bermuda cruise. We had a blast but I do have some complaints. The Breakaway is a gorgeous ship and has a lot to offer. I will go over a few categories to give you an idea of each aspect of the ship.

The food:

Our dining experiences on the ship were all pleasurable ones. The Garden Buffett was great and had a wide variety of foods for breakfast lunch and dinner. Everything seemed to be a lot better quality than your average Buffett. Even the hamburger buns were soft and fresh every day. If you're eating breakfast at the Buffett make sure to keep an eye out for Franklin aka "The Happy Coffee Guy" and his friend Mari Cris, they are sure to put a smile on your face. A favorite spot of ours was O'Sheehan's Irish Pub. The pub was open 24/7 and was complimentary. If you go before 11pm they have a larger menu selection. The buffalo wings and grilled chicken sandwiches at the pub were great. As for paid restaurants we tried Wasabi(sushi) and Teppenyaki(Hibachi) both of which were amazing. They sushi was fresh and very cheap compared to sushi back home in CT. Only about $4.50 for an 8 piece sushi roll. The Hibachi was great and our chef was very entertaining. Only $25.00 for soup, salad, edamame, rice, veggies, and main course(I got filet/shrimp) all of it was delicious. We also sat in the Manhattan Room complimentary restaurant one night and it was very nice. I recommend the rack of lamb dish, very tasty and perfectly cooked.

Cabins:

We were very unimpressed with the cabins on this ship. We had an interior with 3 people and it was VERY cramped and certainly not for anyone who may be claustrophobic. The bathroom/shower were equally small but not too bad. The second half of the week we got used to the cramped quarters but more space would have been nice. Also, when in the cabin someone's room key needed to be placed in a slot in order for lights or anything else in the room to work. This got very annoying after the first day or 2.

Pool/activity areas:

For the amount of people on the ship the pool was awful. We never went in it because people were pretty much swimming on top of each other. The slides and ropes course seemed to be very popular and one person in our group said that the big watersides are a must. There was a huge video arcade with a wide variety of games witch seemed very popular with the kids. The basketball court was very nice but seemed useless at sea because of the wind so unless you plan on only taking lay ups it's not very fun. The really young kids on the ship seemed to really enjoy the small water park area.

Casino:

Overall I really enjoyed the casino and all of the dealers. There were ALWAYS open slot machine and tons of table games starting at a minimum of $5.00. The dealers were very nice and helpful and I even learned a new game(Pai Gow). The only thing that really upset me was the number of misdeals made by a few of the dealers. In one hand of Pai Gow I had a bet down and the dealer took away my cards before I even got the chance to look at them. Of course this was my biggest bet and the dealer had nothing meaning there was a very good chance of me winning just like the other 3-4 people at the table did.

Entertainment:

Rock of ages was AWESOME! Do not bring children to this show as there is vulgar language and women wearing next to nothing. I personally didn't see Burn the Floor but other people in our group said it was very good. We also didn't get the chance to do the Cirque Jungle Fantasy show/dinner but once again others in out party saw it and said it was great, well worth the $28. The comedian/magician was great as well. We had the pleasure of seeing his show the last night of the cruise and it was very entertaining. My father was even pulled up on stage by assistant cruise director Simon but I won't tell you what he did, wouldn't want to spoil it for anyone.

Overall our time on the Norwegian Breakaway was very enjoyable. We probably wouldn't choose this ship again because of the amount of guests and lack of space. The food, staff, entertainment, and the rest of the experience was great. While you're in Bermuda I suggest seeing the crystal caves, it is one of the most beautiful things you'll see in your life. Also, the cruise line will discourage you from renting a scooter but I suggest doing so. I was totally against it but my girlfriend changed my mind and I'm glad she did because we had a blast. We rode the entire length of the island and got to see so many awesome areas of Bermuda. As long as you are attentive and drive safely you won't have any problems finding your way around.

Publication Date: 07/14/13