Queen Mary 2 (QM2) Cruise Review by LaBurladora

Home > Reviews > Member Reviews > Queen Mary 2 (QM2) Cruise Review by LaBurladora
Queen Mary 2 (QM2)
Queen Mary 2 (QM2)
Member Name: LaBurladora
Cruise Date: July 2013
Embarkation: New York (Manhattan)
Destination: Canada & New England
Cabin Category: D6
See More About: Queen Mary 2 (QM2) Cruise Reviews | Canada & New England Cruise Reviews | Cunard Cruise Deals

LuxuryOnly.com

Mixed Feelings This Time Around

This was our second cruise on the QM2. Although the trip was enjoyable, it appears that the overall quality of the Cunard experience has gone down since our last getaway.

But let me start with a few positive items first: Dis/embarkation was a breeze this time around. Lovely. Our Cabin Steward, Rhoderick, was excellent. He kept the room tidy day and night, all while never disturbing us in the room once. He worked around our schedule, and he was wonderful and accommodating.

Now for the negatives: Let’s begin with the food, which has taken a turn for the worse. Some of it is very good in the King’s Court Buffet (especially the Indian dal and chicken curry). I think my issue is more with the organization and inventory. Sometimes we would get some food, and go back for something else only to find that the station had been shut down. Sheesh, these people sure do keep a tight schedule. I suppose they have to, but chill out, your guests are on a cruise, they aren’t paying much attention to the time.

We ate in the Britania Room for dinner, and had the late seating. The food in this dining room was many times just some buffet food, all dolled up and portioned out on a plate for you, honestly. One night I ordered the farfalle pasta with a “creamy tuna sauce.” It was pretty much tuna casserole. I expected more from the dining options there, as they were much better the last time (Jan 2011). The exception was the surf and turf on the last night, and of course our awesome service team of Paneer and Darwis, they were great. I have heard that the food in the Princess and Quenns Grilles is still spectacular.

Some of the amenities were lacking. One member of our party had no working toilet in their stateroom for 48 hours. There were many public bathrooms with “Out of Order” signs. It got a bit frustrating.

While they offer activities on board, most of them did not interest my other half and me. We are in our early 40s, and found them geared toward an older crowd. I guess we prefer things slightly more lively. I’m not talking about a party animal cruise or anything, just something outside of say, napkin folding and those cheesy shows at night (the gymnast was good though).

We did have a relaxing cruise. There wasn’t much to do but lounge around by the pool, so we did indeed rest. A lot.

We will probably cruise with NCL or Celebrity again before we go back on the QM2.

Publication Date: 07/11/13