Celebrity Eclipse Cruise Review by Jsterjason: Great Cruise to the Baltic

Great Cruise to the Baltic

Sail Date: June 2013
Destination: Baltic Sea
Embarkation: Southampton

We just returned from the Celebrity Baltic cruise on the Eclipse. We stayed in Room 8336, which is a Sky Suite 1 cabin.

This just a quick review to highlight some high points and some relative lows on an otherwise excellent trip. This also focuses solely on the ship rather than the trip itself.

Ship

In excellent shape, with great customer service. While I prefer the design of the Holland America ships (expecially in the pool area and the outside pasaages on the middle decks), the finishes on the Eclipse appear more sophisticated and restful, and the social areas were arranged more sensibly.

My only real issue was with the library, which was located in the central core which meant that music and social events were clearly audible. Also, the book selection was poor. In fact, the books in the upper levels of the shelving clearly were bulk books (many old law school coursebooks) for appearance only.

The service was excellent. More No qualifications about that whatsoever. Our suite butler was excellent and proactive. The complimentary food served in the suite

also was tasteful and fresh.

Drink packages

We both were comp'd on the classic package, but upgraded to the premium with its better water and alcohol selection. When I discovered that I had been misinformed about the premium pricing on a certain martini that I drink exclusively, the drinks manager kindly adjusted my package rate to reflect that I was ordering at classic levels.

We loved the layout and finishes of the Sky Suite, and we spent a great deal of time relaxing in it due to its spaciousness and the great deck area. The housekeeping also was excellent. Pictures are available online, but I want to let everyone know that the pictures do not do justice to the sense of space in the room and the size of the bathroom.

The cabin was quite noisy due to its location over the drives of the ship. We had asked about this since one of us is noise-sensitive: do not expect Celebrity to be honest about it. Vibration and a low level of noise was constant, and docking and rough seas were tough with us being thrown around in our beds occasionally. Pretty much all the cabins in the rear corners seemed to have this issue.

Note that this may not be an issue for sound sleepers, but noise sensitive people may want to opt for a midship cabin instead.

All that being said, customer service did a great job of trying to address the issues.

Spa

Very good gym, and a nice spa. The wet area of the sauna (with the thermal beds, sauna and steam room was small: nothing as nice as on Holland America.

Spa services, though a bit limited in terms of massage, were excellent.

Food

I rate the food as much better than on our Holland America cruise in the general dining room and small areas.

We did not eat in Qzine. Both Toscana and Murano were excellent. Murano, in particular, was an extremely nice dining experience.

Blu--which also is available to suite guests--was excellent for breakfast. Our one dinner there was no better than in the main dining room. Less

Read more Celebrity Eclipse cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Celebrity Eclipse Review >>

Cabin review: Celebrity Eclipse Sky Suite Continental Deck (6)

Room 8336Great layoutRoomy, nicely finished bathroomAmple closet and drawer spaceMotor noise and rough pitching in docking and heavy seas.